• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 trans and t-case into an 88. Can it be done?

Goose_XJ88

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I'm going to purchase a low mileage AW4 and 231 from a 2001 Xj and swap it into my 1988 keeping the renix motor. My worry is that there is some type of connection difference from the trans and t-case to the gauge cluster and jeep's computer. Has anyone done this kind of swap before? I know the aftermarket speedo gears are different which makes me think jeep changed connections, wiring and everything between the years. If this won't work, is there a way to drop a later model tcase into my jeep? I want to get away from the 21 spline.

Prob a stupid question but I'm no expert. Thanks for your help.

Find a tranny and transfer case from a 91-96 and you'll have the 23 spline output you want without any worries about electronic issues. I've done that swap several times but never an OBDII (96+) swap into a Renix. I don't know if the OBDII is any different or not but a trip to your local JY might answer your questions.

Thanks for letting me know that the early HO trans swap works. Did you have to do anything to he speedo gear or connection when you swapped to keep the speedometer functioning?

Thanks for letting me know that the early HO trans swap works. Did you have to do anything to he speedo gear or connection when you swapped to keep the speedometer functioning?

just pull the electronic sensor and replace with your cable.

there's a 96+ 5 speed in my 90.

Just swap in the one from the Renix tcase. The 91-96 are electronic and the Renix is cable driven speedo. Depending on what axle gear ratio is in your truck and what gears where in the truck the trany came from your speedo may be off a bit.

Back