• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can MAP Sensor cause misfire?

SHO_GuN

NAXJA Forum User
Can MAP Sensor cause misfire? (SOLVED)

Started my 2000 XJ this morning and had a dead miss.

Threw codes P0104 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent and P0304 - Cylinder #4 Misfire.

Can the MAP cause this misfire? Should I start by replacing the MAP sensor or somewhere else?

TIA

SOLVED

After thinking about the fact that Google didn't have anything to say about the P0104 for a Cherokee I became suspect of my "cheapest on eBay" code reader. I got a friend with a laptop program to stop by and it read P0204 - Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Malfunction. Looking a few inches from the MAP I had been looking at I see the wire to the #4 injector is totally broken. I'm sure this is the problem but will report back here if it is not.

There are also chewed up hickory nuts on the valve cover - I suspect this might be squirrel damage grrr!:flamemad:

Last edited:
Map can/will cause misfires.
As far as your injector connector, you local Carquest/Napa etc. should sell a replacement connector. Splice it in, and you should be good to go.
If you have a smart phone, I recommend one of the 20$ ELM237 BT OBD2 adapters from amazon. Money well spent. And, if for whatever reason it does not work correctly, you can return/exchange it till you get one that works.

Back