• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 GC Starts and dies no gauges

DaveXJCO

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriends grand Cherokee just started this this morning. 95 4.0 grand Cherokee.
It will start and run for a few seconds like all is well, then just shut off. Unplugging cps does not bring gauges back and it also won't fire up at all unplugged like expected. Fuel pump is priming. If I leave the key in the run position when I go to restart it, it runs for less time before shutting off. Key all the way back and then forward, runs longer. We are talking 3-4 seconds max. When it starts it runs fine. Does not putter and then die, it just shuts off like I turned the ignition off. I went through thinking it may be the alarm. Found and cut and grounded the purple and yellow wire. Wish I had done that awhile ago. Ideas? The fact that I have no gauges has me thinking possible ecm. Unplugging a bad cps will bring back gauges. Didn't do that to me.

Try unplugging some more sensors, start with the sync sensor (in the distributor) and see if your gauges come back.

Usually with a "no bus" you will get no fuel and no spark. It will prime but it won't fire or close the fuel pump relay and ASD relay while cranking.

Let us know what you find out, new one on me.

I believe the fuel gauge is working. Says 1/8 tank. Coolant gauge actually maxes out even though its not overheating. No other gauges though.

And I figured it out. A critter crawled up into the engine bay Monday night.
Chewed straight through a ground wire directly below the hood's alarm sensor, right next to the battery.
Funny thing is that swapping ecms, I was able to drive it, and with no bus.
Very strange, especially since I put the old ecm back in and it runs just fine.
I'm happy I disarmed the alarm in the process of elimination. Thanks guys for the input.

Critter damage is a pain. A weasel got into my wifes 87 engine bay and stripped the insulation off a dozen wires. It also pooped and peed all over the top of the motor, smelled like a Skunk had been in there. Happened again on her 96 some years later, a Weasel left his smelly calling card, but only damaged a few wires.

I never had any trouble in my Silverado, I heard Chevy treated their wiring with something that tastes bad for Rodents. I believe it, I never had any critter damage in my Chevy and it was parked right next to both XJ's.

Thanx for the follow up.

Most likely it ran because that ecm didnt require a PATS system code. Ran into a good bit of transponders on chrysler stuff

Back