• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine code 32

Hillenbrand

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 92 xj with a 4.0 and ax15. Today on the way to work it sputtered and died and it won't start now. During the past week it has done the same sputtering thing but it only lasted a second and then everything was normal. The 32 code is supposed to be an egr related thing but from what I've read an egr problem wont cause it to not start. We replaced the cps today and it still won't start. If someone can help me out that would be great.

The 32 code is EGR not fully closed or something to that
effect, could be carbon buildup in the EGR valve.

As you say, that wouldn't cause a no-start.

I suspect you have something else bad, such as an ignition
coil or possibly the cam position sensor. Maybe confirm that
you indeed have no spark first, then check the coil, CMS,
and the ICM.

once you have it running, a quick test of the EGR is to put your hand over the top with your fingers extending over the sides. Reach under with your fingers and pull the diaphragm up (away from the engine). You should instantly hear a difference in how the engine runs. If there is zero change, either the EGR is bad or the port is clogged.

'92 does not have a EGR, and code 32 was not used for the 4.0 engine management.

If you are using flash codes, you may mis-interpreted it.

could be a code 24... TPS voltage low... but, It would still start

or

a code 42.. ASD relay circuit open or shorted.. which WILL cause a no start.

Back