• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalled, no crank.

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1989 XJ renix 4.0/aw4. All stock under the hood.

Little history first, about a month and a half ago my XJ actually back fired once under hard acceleration from a dead stop. I thought that was weird but it's a bit over due for a tune up. Two weeks later about 100ft from my driveway it started running like crap and barely rolled itself into its spot. I figured it was out of gas since it had been sitting on empty for quite a while, I put 2 gallons of fresh gas in it and it started right up no problem. Few days later I did a full tune up. Champion RCYNC or also known as 344 copper plus plugs, Belden wires, Accel cap and rotor. I noticed a smoother start up and idle right away. Ran great.

Flash forward to yesterday (one week after tune up and about 200miles). It did that same weird sputter/loss of power almost stalled as I was driving about 30mph. Full of gas, now I'm scratching my head. CPS? Fuel pump? Coil? It went away and I drove home.

This morning pulling into work about 30ft from my parking spot it just died. No sputter, nothing. Just like someone shut it off. I have power, but no crank.

I've been having neutral safety switch issues but if I pull the shifter back just a tad it cranks and starts but it wouldn't do anything this time.

I've also been having issues with the ignition switch, somebody installed a replacement one in my XJ and did a crappy job. It periodically gets stuck and I have to actually turn it back slightly after starting.... Not sure if that possibly be an issue.

My question is, it's been quite a while since I dealt with a bad CPS and can't remember if they will cause a no crank problem. Can a faulty CPS cause no crank?

I haven't even popped open the hood on it yet as I'm still at work so I'm just getting ideas for where to start on this thing tonight.

Last edited:
I'd definitely start with testing the ignition switch. A faulty ignition switch can make a Jeep do crazy things.

No, a faulty CPS will not cause No Crank.

Back