• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dorman spring/shackle question

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
On my 2001 XJ Sport, with the original factory springs, my ride height is 18" front and 16.5" rear. Empty, no tools, no heavy bumpers, just stock. A good case of the sag! Can anyone estimate what I will end up with if I put in the Dorman 929-301 springs? Is it likely I will run into other issues in the driveline with the new HD springs, like sudden need to change the u-joints? I also have stock Monroe Sensa-trac shocks that are pretty new. Should I be looking at some different shocks with these springs? One other question, the Dorman shackles are pictured with bushings and bolts. Does it come as pictured? I plan on replacing the bolts and would like to know how many I need to buy from the dealer. Thanks in advance.

Are those the UpCountry spec replacements? The OE P/Ns they quote them as replacing aren't the upcountry P/Ns if I remember right.

This should simply put you back at stock XJ (non-upcountry) height. Shouldn't cause any driveline issues going back to stock height. Or even UpCountry height.

Here's the amazon link they do come with bushing according to the comments but no one mentions anything about shackles.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-929-301-Leaf-Spring-Cherokee/dp/B005VPS358

Also it looks like you get bushing and hardware with their shackle

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-722-02...41118&sr=1-1&keywords=dorman+cherokee+shackle

Dorman's Leaf Spring Hanger comes with all the components necessary for a complete repair. The mounting hardware provided ensures a trouble-free installation.

Q: Is this price for 2 shackles and hardware?

A:Hi, this is a price for one shackle, one bushing , two bolts and two nuts.

I bought the HD quadratec springs which sound very similar to the Dorman springs. I didn't expect any driveline problems, but I started getting some crunching driveline noise with an empty tank of gas when I left off the accelerator (back end of transfer case raises after letting off the gas).

My problem is caused by a worn out pinion in the rear end, allowing the angle to become too severe when I lift off the gas. I'm doing a small transfer case drop to fix the problem right now, but would like to do an SYE (money and time are tight right now).

So, check your pinion for wear by pushing up on it where it exits the rear diff. Also, take into consideration that some XJ's (late model vs early) are more prone to vibes. No 2 XJ's are the same, and what gives one rig vibes may not give the other vibes.

Thanks

The parts arrived today. Maybe I'm too particular, but the Dorman shackle bushings appear to be installed about 1/16" off center. Plus they're made in China.

I'm kind of annoyed because I don't have a great tool to move the bushing. Maybe tomorrow I'll try beating a socket against it with a 5-10 lb hammer. The other idea I have is to return them as defective and just get dealer ones.

I measured and the bushings are 1/8" off center. There are no marks on the bushings to indicate origin, etc. I am returning these shackles because I don't want to spend any more time trying to center a bushing of questionable quality. Plus the nuts seemed kind of funky, they seem to wobble as you tighten them and they just don't feel like good steel, almost like there is air in them, they feel too light. The Dorman springs appear to be better quality. I bought dealer shackles, which are only a few dollars more, but don't come with bolts which cost about $6-7 each. Should have all of this installed next/late next week.

I installed the leaf springs and shackles.

It bumped my ride height up 1.5" in the rear.

Now I've got 18"- 18 1/8" all around.

Back