• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal / brake light help

bmikes

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ 4.0 aw4 231, power locks and windows.

Hey I need some help on my turn signals, brakes isssue. This is what's happening:

Turn on running lights: only passenger side comes on.

Turn on headlights:
Only passenger side running lights still, plus headlights.

Turn on passenger turn signal:
Rear and front work

Drivers:
Rear and front work

Driver Turn signal plus brake:
Stalls the turn signal, brake lights come on.

Passenger turn signal plus brake:
Lights up rear drivers turn signal and brake lights, passenger turn signal stays blinking. Front drivers turn signal does not come on.

I looked at the flasher relay and it's still working. What else should I look into?

The wires going into the back hatch look like this
jumy9e5u.jpg

u7y6yneb.jpg

They've been like that since I got the rig. And my drivers side marker lights have never worked since I've gotten the rig. I know it's not the front bulbs because I've taken them out and swapped to the other side and they all still work. I can't take my tail light housing off cause my bumper is too close :p but all the bulbs do what they are supposed to do, so do you think they could be causing this problem?

Any advice would be very helpful, I'm not sure where to go from here

A common cause of weird tail light operation is the ground behind the drivers side rear inside facia panel, behind the spare tire mount.

Cool thanks, I'll
Check there tomorrow.

Also, I feel dumb... I figured out the reason for no marker lights. There wasn't a fuse in the fuse slot for it. Popped one in, and wha-la, they work.

i would also consider cutting and re-splicing those wires back together. it may be a long shot but they could arch to one another causing both your turn signal and brake lights to illuminate at the same time

It wasn't those wires, I cut and spliced them back together, ad it still had the same problems. But then I refreshed the two grounds behind the spare tire panel, and the one ground that goes from the battery to the fender wall and all my lights work correctly now.

Back