• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Master Cylinder

GreenXJ24

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, this is my first post, so take it easy on me please. I have been looking at this forum and a few others for a while, but I thought I would start with this one.

So, I am a moron, and the other day I accidentally poured a little bit of power steering fluid to my brake fluid reservoir. I'm already madder at myself than you could be collectively lol, so you don't need to tell me again how dumb that is :dunce:

Right away, I pumped out (little hand held siphon) as much of the PSF as I could, added more brake fluid, pumped out some more, added more brake fluid. I know how bad the petroleum can be for the brake system, so naturally I was freaking out. This was in the evening, so the next morning I visited my local garage a couple of times. Spoke to three different mechanics, who all agreed that I caught my mistake early enough, and removed what I could early enough, so that they though I would be ok. They could have said that I needed all new stuff, but they did not.

I am still nervous, and my master cylinder is 14 years old, it is filthy, and my brake setup is not great haha. Warped rotors, beat pads. I plan on getting all new pads (black magic), rotors, and calipers, and I am thinking I should get a new master cylinder and flush the whole system when they get installed.

Right now I am looking at master cylinders, and I am not sure which to buy. I don't feel like paying for the $109 Crown that Q-tec carries, so I have been looking on Rock-Auto, but I am not personally familiar with any of the brands. I am pretty young, and this is pretty much all new to me (had the Jeep for one year).

Do you guys have any suggestions for me as to which master cylinder I should get? does it matter? and while i'm at it, are there any other components that I should consider replacing? lines, hoses, etc.?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to answer anticipated questions ahead of time. Thank you for any help!

Back