• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to remove the tailgate wiring.

01classicxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello yall. My Cherokee has power locks. I've removed all my rear plastic interior trim. Installed my cut and fold rear JCR tire carrier bumper. Had to remove my rear windshield wiper so gate would close all the way. I don't hardly use it anyway. I want to get rid of all the rear wiring on the rear hatch. I have to relocate the license plate on it anyway. There is a couple of big electrical plug connections in the left interior rear wheel well area. One goes to the hatch wiring. I unplugged it and reconnected my battery and this clicking sound like a can of rocks started going off under my dash. And my other power locks did not work. Any reason why i cant have the door power locks working and the hatch i can just lock with a key?? I may be removing my hatch all together one day and angling my tire carrier into the back of the jeep. Any ideas yall??

SHAZAM!!! Posting a reply to my own question..lol So i removed the two screws and took apart the three plugs that are at the top of the body where the top of the hatch is. Once i unplugged the wire harness there everything seems to be working like i thought it would. Power locks work and rear only with my key.

Wires and washer hose coupler to the hatch are above headliner in the rear.

I would Reconnect whatever it is you unplugged, and disconnect those.

Edit: glad you figured it out, we must have been composing at the same time.
-Ron

Back