• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating

I have a 1987 MJ 4.0L manual 2WD. It started to overheat after only a few minutes of driving. I have replaced the thermostat, radiator, and hoses. What else should I check?
Thanks
Seth

first thing is to get a mechanical gauge or infrared temp gauge and verify what the actual temperature of the engine is at the cylinder head when running. Next, if you replaced all those parts, did you check the waterpump? When you start the truck from cold, with the radiator cap off, once the engine warms to operating temp, does the thermostat open and the coolant start flowing through the radiator? If not, water pump is most likely shot.

The original Renix cooling system doesn't have a radiator cap, but a pressure bottle on the passenger side firewall.

If it hasn't been converted to the open system by someone already, be sure to use a Napa 703-1396 cap on the pressure bottle. The black ones are chinese junk.

Back