• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Lights Relay Location - Mopar OEM Retrofit Kit - 2000 XJ

jnewell

NAXJA Forum User
I'm on vacation and don't have my paperwork with me - my XJ has the Mopar factory fog light kit for Jeeps that did not come from the factory with fog lights.

I'm pretty sure the relay is bad. Because the fog lights were installed with the Mopar kit as a retrofit, the relays are not in the PDC, but are (I think I recall) inline on the wiring harness that came in the kit.

Does anyone recall where on the harness the relay/relays are mounted? Probably under the dash - if yes, do you recall which side? Or is it in the harness, under the hood? Conditions are subobtimal for wrestling around under the dash, wondering if someone can give me a headstart to shorten the hide-and-seek.

Thanks for any assistance.

In all my years as a tech I've only seen one type of relay fail, and it was the PGM-FI Main in Hondas. I had an issue with my fog light switch. I had to replace it twice due to internal melting. The last one I ordered came with a new subharness and relay that went in right behind the switch.

May not be optimal, however you could trace the pos. wires from your fog lamps back to a power source i.e. relay. Am curious as to where the power source is if it isn't from the relay that says fog lamp in PDC.:photo:

Thanks. I did some tracing but before I finished that I did some further troubleshooting with the switches (existing and replacement).

Here's what's going on, which is really odd. Both switches will operate the fog lights normally with neither of the lamps installed.

Both switches will operate the fog lights normally with one of the lamps (dash lighting or indicator) installed.

If both of the lamps are installed, neither switch operates normally. What happens is that if the fog lights are turned on, they turn on as they should. However, if you turn off the switch, the fog lights stay on. With the fog lights on and the switch off, if you remove either of the lamps the relay unlatches and the lights turn off.

I need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why having both lamps in the switch keeps the relay latched. :confused:

Back