• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd AW4 behavior when cold - familiar to anyone ?

AZScrambled

NAXJA Forum User
Before assuming I need to tear into my auto trans I wanted to find out if anyone else had similar symptoms and could I simply need a filter/fluid change.
My 1998 XJ is all stock with the factory AW4 and 173K miles. Starts fine in the morning and goes into reverse no problem. However, when I put the tranny in drive the engine revs way up to 4-5K before it jerks into second gear. From there it shifts to third and overdrive just fine. By the time I drive a couple miles to the first stop light the tranny/engine are all warmed up and when I leave the light everything shifts perfectly - like nothing was ever wrong. Why would this high rev condition only occur after the XJ has sat all night ? I adjusted the throttle pressure cable per the earlier postings and it was only out of adjustment by about one click. The fluid is nice and red with no burning smell and was changed about 20K miles ago. Can this be caused by a clogged filter or am I looking at pump or torque convertor problems ? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jerry

Back