• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 4.0 4wd AW4 trans code p1698

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having this code pop up every now and again along with a CEL. This code tells me that there is some kind of problem with the TCM or wiring?

No CCD/J1850 Message From TCM.

My jeep shows no problems shifting or anything like that at all, just the CEL. I have looked this up and it seems sometimes this code will accompany an airbag light (bad clock spring).

Have any of you seen this and if so has anyone been able to remedy this? It is annoying seeing the Check Engine Light and Id really like to find a real fix here other than clearing the code.

Thanks!

There are several pretty recent threads on that code. Search for p1698 and do some reading. If that doesn't help, maybe someone will chime in.

Yeah I saw those, however most are for a 97. Different than the 98 I think?

Anyway, no one seemed to have an idea of how to fix in those threads

Thanks though!

After resetting code there were no issues yesterday or last night.

Start up this morning on the drive in to work and CEL came on.

Same 1698 but also a p0622 code. It appears this am the gent field is not switching properly? A regulator issue or a short not allowing the charging system to switch on and off?

However the voltmeter is fine and not fluctuating at all and the jeep shifts and runs perfectly.

Any oldtimers battle this before? This weekend I will run through and look for bad wires/grounds. Any common grounds or places to look at for damage?

thanks guys!

If there are multiple CEL trouble codes, always fix the lowest numbered code first. Higher number codes may be caused by the faulty data or faulty performance of whatever is causing the lowest numbered trouble code.

Low voltage can cause TCM issues. Test and inspect battery/wires/alternator.

P0622 CHRYSLER
Generator Field Not Switching
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Possible causes
- Battery charge
- Faulty Generator
- Generator harness is open or shorted
- Generator circuit poor electrical connection
- Engine Control Module (ECM) controlled generator

-Tech notes
If the battery is OK then the alternator is more than likely the problem.

Thanks Tim!

I'm going through the grounds tomorrow and if that doesn't work ripping out the alt and battery to get tested

Today the jeep started shifting erratically and the volt meter dropped to zero.

I had an alt go out before and completely kill,the battery and shut down before I got it to someplace safe and never had these issues. Not a single code in that instance.

I hope it's simple as I'm broke as a joke and need a vehicle to get to work lol.

Update.

Pulled and filed and made ground and grounding points shiny again. Boom all codes gone and jeep now runs better than ever at 250k.

Just a reminder, keep the grounds spotless and shiny otherwise a whole slew of codes and issues can pop up.

Luckily for me me diagnostic port was going out intermittently as along with the other issues and threw up a big red flag to me that something along the lines of a shared ground was the culprit.

Keep em' clean and shiny!

Back