• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to adjust the rear hatch latch on the 98-01 XJ

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I've been dealing with a stubborn rear hatch latch for about a year on my 2000 XJ, so I decided to pull the hatch plastic and figure out what's wrong with it.

The latch assembly is a combination of metal and plastic components, which wear differently over time.

As the latch assembly wears, it requires adjustment to work properly and fortunately, Jeep engineered this latch assembly with a threaded rod, which allows for adjustment.

Instructions are simple, follow steps 1-4 to get the job done. Could be the easiest repair ever on your Jeep.

IMG_5094-1_zps5d167d04.jpg

Where was this post in 2007...
Thanks for putting it up, even if it's a bit late (for me)
I wound up fabricating a new link rod out of a modfied cable turnbuckle.
I think your way is better :)

I see no link/info/pics of said steps.

Nice pictorial. Its worth noting that the earlier years, in my '98 at least, the piece that holds the threaded adjuster rod is not plastic, just a thin piece of metal that it threads into. The rod can slip out of the threads so they flex but a few zip ties cinched down can help to keep it in place.

Last edited:
A good illustration of the rod that needs adjusting. I would just add (as usual) that when the latch gets really old and worn, the pivot pin in the handle assembly also wears, such that there is more lost motion than the rod can compensate for. You may have to tighten the rivet or creatively jam a washer in after you've used up all the rod allowance. Somewhere in the archives should be a picture of what I mean, and when I get back onto the desktop computer I'll see if I can find it. It's easy to see, hard to describe.

Back