• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine stumbles in hot weather and pops fuse

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4.0L auto, 4x4. Ok so and ongoing issue as of recently, when my Jeep is in the hot weather and running at 210 or just slightly above, when I hit the gas to take of say like make a left turn quickly because there is oncoming traffic, my Jeep's engine stumbles and the Jeep bucks, not very violently but the Jeep does not take off quickly leaving me vulnerable in traffic. It idles fine, and after this happens, I let off the gas for a few seconds and slowly get back on it and it drives perfectly fine.

Another recent issue that might be coupled to this issue is when the Jeep is on an incline and I try to move forward up the incline, this problem is especially worse if the Jeep is loaded down or I am pulling a trailer, the Jeep will pop the start/ignition fuse in the fuse panel inside the cabin. The Jeep then shuts down, won't restart, and most of the gauges go dead until I replace the fuse.

I am at a loss for what the problem is and could really use some help trying to figure this one out.

Thanks in advance!

Since both issues seem to be wire harness related, they have a good probability of both being caused by the same wiring fault.

By the numbers, what Check Engine Light trouble codes are present ? What fuse blows ? What diagnostics and trouble shooting have you performed ?

So far no codes have been thrown. Most diagnostics I have done so far was to figure out the initial problem of the blown fuse causing the no start.

I have been wondering if this could possible be an issue maybe at the battery cables. Its a long shot but maybe the poor power supply could cause resistance enough to pop the fuse and the stumble could be bad wiring too in resistance from the heat and a bad connection be enough to not be enough electricity for WOT.

What fuse blows ?

Poor quality (loose/corroded/undersize) battery/alternator wire connections will not blow a fuse, but can cause a no-start.

Loose wire connectors, chafed wire insulation, damaged wires, or failed wire splices can cause intermittent stalling.

As both scenarios are ones in which the engine is put in a high torque situation, I'd look for a wiring issue that is triggered by the engine moving under torque. Look for harnesses that would be pulled under engine twisting, or wires that might come in contact with a ground.

Then, might want to look into new engine mounts to prevent the extreme engine twisting.

Just my two-cents.

It's fuse 11 in the fuse panel inside the cab. It's the Start/ignition fuse.

My motor mounts look good. I had bad ones years ago that just rotted out and crumbled to pieces but these are still solid. I tried Rusty's poly mounts and then rubber ones and the vibrations drove me insane! I had to take them out and go back the Mopar mounts.

Back