• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

floor pan replacement- what are you doing about the seat mount re-inforcements?

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
'96 Country...typical floor pan rust. In the last throws of welding/patching floor pans in. When getting the old floors out, I destroyed my front seat reinforcements- the upside down 'U' channel that the 2 front seat mounts bolt into.
These have been discontinued and are no longer available- anywhere.

I know I'm not the only one that has run into this problem. What have other XJ'rs done to work around this?

Right now I'm fab'ing some make-shift brackets from 2" angle iron and not too happy with my results...

Yeah they appear to be 16 gauge, but I don't have a brake -or a vice to bend it straight...

If you have a work bench or table you can beat on a bit, you can make a poor man's brake.

Get a piece of angle iron and 2 c-clamps. Then put the metal on your table, put the piece of angle over it and clamp it down to the table. You can hammer the piece of metal to your desired shape. It's crude, but its about the same as doing it in a vice, but wider, and only costs about $15 to put together, and when you are done, you still have 2 good c-clamps.

10281889576_7a66778c35_c.jpg

thanks- that is sorta what I had 'built' in my mind to bend if I needed to...I have a sheet of 16g big enough to make the driver's side I believe, so I might just try it. My angle iron 'L' brackets leave much to be desired, and I don't know that I can trust them to hold up. I would hate to get everything done, seam sealed and carpet and padding put back in just to hear a 'snap' or feel the recognizable rocking chair effect the first time I take a corner...
I'm handicapped, though, as I am working with a POS Harbor Freight flux core welder to do everything; but that's a whole different problem.
I never thought seat mount brackets would be the biggest hurdle in this project!

Back