• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj stalling out when gets warmed up

troopertruck

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 xj 4x4 with the 4l inline 6.This particular model has coil pack ignition[ive only delt with older models] it works great until it gets hot on the trail or in traffic. as soon as it gets above 100 on the gauge it will stall then will not start for 30 -40 mins. I am wondering if there is a seperate temp sensor that controls the fan relay because the jeep sends a engine code for fan control relay circuit. I apreciate any help thanks

There are two temperature sensors. One in the intake manifold that is used for the fuel injection system. The other is in the thermostat housing which is used for the dash gauge and the electric fan.

Stalling when hot and no starting for 30-40 minutes is usually the crank position sensor (CPS). Since the summer got in full swing there is thread after thread about this. Failures are relatively common and some folks keep spares under the seat. Go with dealer for this with NAPA Echlin as a second. Skip the el-cheapo sensors.

Here's another thread for the same http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1113496 and the other Jeep forums have them too.

2000-2001 XJ are known for having "heat soak" issues. But it is possible that your CKP is failing, as person above stated. I would test it/possibly replace it. And go from there.
The 2000-up have addition pre-cats, which make the engine bay a lot hotter. Some people have luck with wrapping the injectors and intake manifold with heat resistant material. IF you search for it there are several threads about it.

Heat soak causes very rough idle on start, but it does start.

Wrapping injectors 3 and 4 helps/eliminates the issue.

I have a 01 XJ with the pre-cats, BTDT.

I would add, any testing should be done when the problem occurs, not hours after the engine cools off. They fail hot.

I have changed the cps a few months ago due to a starting issue in cold weather but it did not seem to make a difference then. The cps came off my 98 xj that never stalled out. But maybe it is gone so I will change it again tomorow. The jeep is throwing a code. Radiator fan relay circuit' does anyone know if there is a fail safe on this jeep that could shut the engine down if the electric fan fails?

There is not one. You can unplug the fan and drive as long as you want.

You may want to check the fan relay.

Changed the fan relay it's brand new. I haven't heard the fan come on yet since I wired it back to the factory connector tho. I'm going to change the cps today and see what that does for me. Thanks for all the help!!

i have a 2000 xj 4x4 with the 4l inline 6.This particular model has coil pack ignition[ive only delt with older models] it works great until it gets hot on the trail or in traffic. as soon as it gets above 100 on the gauge it will stall then will not start for 30 -40 mins. I am wondering if there is a seperate temp sensor that controls the fan relay because the jeep sends a engine code for fan control relay circuit. I apreciate any help thanks

I am going to assume you get a check engine light.
What are the error codes?

-Ron

Evaporative emission system purge control valve system circuit , 02 sensor, and radiator fan ctrl relay circuit. The only one that my code reader will not erase is the rad fan relay code.

Check engine block grounds and all fuses in the fuse/ relay box may be in order. What are the exact codes? Ie. There are multiple O2 codes.

The exact codes, not the translation would have been nice.

100 degrees is about the point where the ECU comes out of open loop mode.

Not sure exactly about the 2000, but a 2001 has 3 cats, 2 precats and 1 regular cat. The precats have 4 sensors and throw 4 different codes.

The O2 sensors are preheated and the heater circuit is supervised and will throw another code.

If the engine comes up to temp before the O2 sensors, the engine will run like crap, stumble like crazy, and won't want to idle. Restart will be very difficult as the ECU thinks the mixture is way off. The heater is on a separate fuse.

The fan is controlled by the ECU via a relay. The older ones were unsupervised, if you are getting a code for it, they must have found a way to supervise the power circuit. Check for blown fuses on the PDC under the hood.

-Ron

It doesn't work bad it just stalls out mostly when on the trail at low rpm. Then will not start again for 30-40 mins it also will not start if you sit in traffic then shut it off at a store for same amout of time.
I just changed the crank pos sensor. We will see how it works now

Still throwing 2 codes.
P0443 evaporative emission system,
P1491 radiator fan ctrl relay circuit

Last edited:
Back