• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner replacement ? for 2001 XJ with rear sound bar

coachholland

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I recently replaced the headliner on my XJ and I have the sound bar in the rear. While doing this, I replaced the speakers at the same time.

Pulled the liner out and left the plastic speaker holder in place The problem is that I can't seem to snap that plastic cover back to the speaker covers without the plastic pushing up, so they're not snapping in. I'm assuming that it goes back in there somehow. I'm assuming possibly having to drop the liner again and force the covers back into place while holding the speaker retainer box from the back? However, I'm concerned that this method may crease the headliner board.

I know the answer to this may be overly simplistic and I'm embarassed for even having to ask, but for those that have done this, can you please provide some pointers?

As I recall, there is quite a bit of room up there. You should be able to remove the trim that covers the opening and get your hands up in there without too much effort.

But I've been wrong before...

Are you sure the speakers aren't pushing the cover off?

Yes sir. I can push the covers in flush, but they don't grab into place into the retainer portion. They're moving that piece back.

As I recall, there is quite a bit of room up there. You should be able to remove the trim that covers the opening and get your hands up in there without too much effort.

But I've been wrong before...

There is indeed. I'm just concerned that the downward pressure with the headliner hanging down unsupported will crease the headliner. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Back