• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best source for stock motor/trans mounts

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to replace my engine and transmission mounts.

What parts store is the best for this?
Engine Trans
Auto Zone 18 103
NAPA 18 not listed?
Car Quest 20 40
Advance 20 94
O'Reilly 18 103

There's a big spread on the transmission mounts. Is the Car Quest part as good as the Duralast/Anchor mounts? Anybody know if there's a NAPA part number?

Thanks!

I think they all come in a box that says "Anchor."

Digger87XJ has a preference for the stock isolators. Send him a PM if he does not respond to this thread. ;)

Anchor mounts, as a general rule, suck; fitment problems, longevity, etc... I only use them on cars because they are virtually the only option other than OEM which, in many applications can be pricey.

That said, there are other options for the XJ, that being mounts like Brown dog, or MORE mounts. Personally I don't like them as they cause an excessive amount of engine vibrations into the passenger area.

As far as I'm concerned, the best bang for the buck is OEM. They will last way longer than the anchors, and won't vibrate your teeth out.

I found a few brands. Anchor, Westar, DEA, in addition to the dealer (engine mounts only).

The dealers cost about $40 more each which I will pay if they are substantially better.

My concern is that the dealer no longer lists the transmission mount?

I was thinking I should get the same brand for all. Is this important?

Six of one, half a dozen of another. Parts store stuff is usually (not always) same manufacturer with different colored box. Pick one you won't have a hassle warrantying and a counter guy you can get along with. You get better service if you buy a lot from the same guys btw...

Thanks Joe, I know the benefits of being a regular customer. What had me shop this around is that neither the dealer nor NAPA have it available. The other places listed it, and both the dealer and NAPA have a listing if I choose a different year. So either the part is different, or the catalogs are wrong.

Hmm... I tried ANOTHER dealer parts site and it comes up with 52059347AB for $207 list. Morris has this for $46. Looks like I'll check the part number on the original mount and call a dealer with VIN in hand and see what they say.

I've been running Anchor mounts for ~6 months and am happy with them. Way less vibration than my Brown Dog rubber mounts. For a DD or for fussy people like me, Anchor or OEM... OEM will last longer but costs more.

52019201AC 2001 XJ engine mount cheapest I could find $59/ea
52059347AB 2001 XJ transmission mount cheapest I could find $134/ea

Apparently something was changed around 2000-2001 which makes the dealer transmission mount about 3-5X more expensive than a 1999 mount. I'm not sure what changed.

Morris has the 2001 transmission mount for about $45.

Rock Auto definitely has the cheapest parts. They list the motor mounts for as little as $4-5.

My only problem with the NAME BRAND rock auto parts are the fact that you have to send it back to warranty it not walk in and get one that day or the next. They as with everyone have very cheap lines as well that you would be better off using the cardboard box it came in...

Agreed! That's why I rarely use Rock Auto. It can be worth extra to be able to go to a retail store and put a part on the counter and walk out with a new replacement at no cost/hassle.

The cross member and bracket are different. I was tempted to buy 1999 style to use the cheaper mount but didn't know what is have to modify for the exhaust support.

CarQuest sells DEA mounts.

NAPA dropped the ball on this one. One mount made in Korea that looked like it was installed and a China mount the parts guy didn't seem 100% about, and no listing for transmission.

I bought the dealer mounts. The local dealer price matched the cheapest online dealer i found. Still almost 3X the CarQuest mounts.

Lets hope so. When I under the jeep spraying penetrant I noticed my water pump is leaking out the weep hole and dripping off the lower radiator hose.

I installed the dealer engine and transmission mounts. They were Made in Canada, same as the factory originals that I took off. The original motor mounts had settled about 1/4" or more. The transmission mount was still decent, but after removal I noticed cracks forming on the rear. It was a pretty straight forward job. The longest part was probably cleaning all the grime off the exhaust support plate and crossmember.

I do have a few post-install questions:

1. One of the bolts, the one closet to the exhaust, into the transmission/transfer case adapter came out with some aluminum on it, about one thread worth. I didn't want to put that back in, so I replaced the bolt with one from my hitch/skid plate (they are the same). Is there any way to proven this from happening? I had sprayed penetrant on those bolts, but still needed a 3 foot pipe to get this one loose. The threads weren't bad enough to warrant drilling/ tapping/ helicoiling. I had the same problem with aluminum getting stuck to the bolts one of the A/C compressor mount bolts when doing my head. Is there any way to get the aluminum off the bolt so it can be reused?

2. With the exhaust support off, I was able to move the exhaust about 1/4-1/2". I noticed this slop was coming from the joint between the exhaust manifold and the mini-cats (01 XJ, 4 O2 sensors). Is this normal? Also, the mini-cat pipe and oil pan nearly touch. There is no more than 1/4" space there, not a fingers width. Is this normal??? How much space should there be?

Thanks!

3. Transfer case shifter rattle still occurs, and may be worse. I believe its directly related to the exhaust support. When installing, if I moved the exhausted back and forth, the noise seemed exactly like the shifter rattle. Is this normal? What can be done?

On the plus side, the driveline is completely solid. Now if I can just figure out the exhaust/shifter rattle...

3. Transfer case shifter rattle still occurs, and may be worse. I believe its directly related to the exhaust support. When installing, if I moved the exhausted back and forth, the noise seemed exactly like the shifter rattle. Is this normal? What can be done?

On the plus side, the driveline is completely solid. Now if I can just figure out the exhaust/shifter rattle...

this kit will repair your factory setup and quiet it down http://www.quadratec.com/products/52207_0007.htm

or this new setup http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1113419

Back