• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sentry question for steering column replacement in a 2000

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
First off, forgive me for my Sentry ignorance: My co-worker had her steering column damaged in a failed theft attempt of her 2000 upcountry. Am I correct in assuming she can get a column from a 97-01? Now with the new column's ignition and key, does she need the column donor's Sentry unit(is it dash based or column based?), get it programmed with her vehicle's VIN, or just have her original ignition key close in proximity? Thanks

If the sentry key module was damaged it will need to be replaced with a new unit and programmed at the dealer.

If the sentry key module is undamaged, just transfer it to the new column. Swapping in a recoded ignition lock cylinder is pretty easy too so the original key will work.

I haven't seen the damage, but apparently the lock cylinder and metal on column around it is damaged, thus mechanic was searching for a used column. So the sentry unit is in the column?

The SKIM module and the PCM are married to each other by PCM programming and cannot be divorced. If you install a different PCM, and it is not installed following the info in the link above, the SKIM module will think there is a theft attempt, and lock-up the PCM.

If replacing the steering column, transfer over the SKIM module, and the original key cylinder to the new column, assuming neither one is damaged or non-working.

The SKIM module can be completely removed, and non SKIM PCM from a donor 2000 can be installed, no reprogramming necessary.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
OK. I'm wrong. Learning........ So if the programming is in thr skim, can PCMs be swapped without reprogramming?

It's complicated. Once the PCM recognizes the vehicle has a skim module it cannot unlearn the skim and will always look for the skim message before starting. Each module can be replaced individually as needed, but the modules must be programmed. The skim and the PCM both have the secret key codes, the vin, and the access code stored. Everything must match before the PCM allows the engine to run.

But, like was said before, if you remove/unplug the skim, and install a PCM that has not learned to look for a skim then the Jeep will start and run ok.

Back