• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 44?!? ummm what? 96XJ

doostica

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee 4WD Automatic 4.0L sport OBDI system (not II) early model 1996 {split year}

I have recently done a lot of preventative maintenance - A LOT of new mopar stock parts, for some reason my thermostat reads very very high... almost in the red zone but i'll figure that one out eventually.... any input on the possible reasons for that would be appreciated (I have a new waterpump & thermostat so it's not that)

Okay so my jeep is giving me code 44. It's the only code I am being given and the possible reasons are:

44 No FJ2 voltage present at logic board
OR
44 Logic module self-diagnostics indicate problem
OR
44 Battery temperature out of range

I am clueless as to what the first 2 could mean, any help would be greatly appreciated, as for the last one 'battery temperature out of range' well I have an AutoCraft Silver battery purchased in 9/11 it's been tested at AutoZone and I took it over to Advance for a second opinion and both say the battery is fine.

Please, if you have any idea or know what code 44 could be I'd appreciate it.... The jeep runs great, so I am perplexed.

-Have a great Wednesday y'all!

Jessica

My info says battery temp sensor issue. Underneath the battery and attached to the battery tray is a temp sensor that relays battery temp to the PCM. The sensor allows the PCM to adjust charging system voltage depending on how hot or cold the battery is. Inspect the wiring and the sensor itself. Repair/replace the sensor as necessary.

I probably forgot to reconnect the thing when I put the battery back in after putting in my high output alternator last week.

Lets see if that fixes it, report back later

Back