• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do while oil pan is out

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
Not going to mess with the bearings since I'm not confident enough but this is the list I have. Jeeps been sitting since last December.

Oil Pan Gasket (Fel-Pro Blue)
Rear Main Seal
Oil Pump/Pickup Tube
Valve Cover Gasket (Fel-Pro Blue)
Higher Capacity Oil Filter (K&N 3001) / Adapter Gaskets
Distributer Gasket (need to pull to prime the oil pump anyway)
15w 40 Rotella Diesel Oil
Marvel Mystery Oil

Any other suggestions? Dropping the pan tomorrow. Thanks!

Not going to mess with the bearings since I'm not confident enough but this is the list I have. Jeeps been sitting since last December.

Oil Pan Gasket (Fel-Pro Blue)
Rear Main Seal
Oil Pump/Pickup Tube
Valve Cover Gasket (Fel-Pro Blue)
Higher Capacity Oil Filter (K&N 3001) / Adapter Gaskets
Distributer Gasket (need to pull to prime the oil pump anyway)
15w 40 Rotella Diesel Oil
Marvel Mystery Oil

Any other suggestions? Dropping the pan tomorrow. Thanks!

How's the oil pressure? If it is still good, forgo the oil pump change, they seldom wear out before the rest of the engine does.
If all you are doing is changing the RMS, priming should be be necessary, especially if the pump is not removed.
As suggested earlier, drop the pan and let it sit overnight or longer, to reduce the oil dropping. Wear safety glasses and old clothes.
Use only plastic or brass tools, when removinng or installing the new seal, to protect the crank's journal.
While you are resealing the engine, get a oil filter adapter o-ring kit, you would be surprised how much they seep on older engines.

Don't use the mmo, good way to ruin shit or blow up the motor

motor had a knock to it, had it for 2 years without issue, tried it and knock instantly got louder, motor blew up that night.

First time I've really heard about MMO messing up a motor like that.

Not sure a out oil pressure since the gauges don't work. Picked it up for 800 and no history. It hasn't been taken care of though. I already have a pump so figured while it's off might as well. I have the filter adapter stuff already too. Maybe I'll see how she runs before using MO.

I did a RMS on a cj7 and it seems a lot easier on the XJs. You don't have to pull the motor mounts from what I looks like.

If you are going to change the oil filter adapter you might as well change the engine mounts since the adapter is in the way of the passenger side motor mount bolt.

Ordered some Brown Dog ultra flex rubber mounts.

Timing chain - Just check to see if its got more than 1/8 inch of slack or so right? I'm guessing it can be done from under so I'll shine a light and see what I can see. I didn't get a chance to pull the pan today but tomorrow is hopeful.

Timing chain - not so lucky. To check for slop you can check with oil pan off. To change it, the timing cover and everything in the way needs to come off. Not difficult, just time consuming. If you do replace it, you're right there to replace the front main seal.

I didn't have any oil pressure issues but replaced the pump anyway since I was in there. I know others say not to but I threw caution to the wind!

if your oil pressure if ok, you can leave the oil pump alone to try to keep it simple.
myself, i'd end up making a big project out of it and would probably take the time to plastigage the bearings while it is open just so i know the condition and i'd replace oilpump based on that info.

Back