• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotella T5 instead of T6?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I have been using a synthetic blend (Valvoline MaxLife 10w30) for years and love it.
I've wanted to switch to full synthetic but untill I fix my RMS, I don't want to potentially increase the leak there.
I hear great things about Rotella T6 oil in our XJs, but it's a full synthetic.
I see the T5 is a synthetic blend like the MaxLife.
Does it offer the same benefits and advantages (ZDDP etc.) as the T6 or is it only the T6 that Rotella has that we can use?

Yes it has similar zddp levels to T6. You can also get it in 10w-30 while T6 is just 5w-40. FYI head over to bobistheoilguy.com and search for T5 and T6 oil analyses to see exact composition. Both have more zddp than many passenger car oils, whether or not we need it is another story...

The thicker 5w-40 may not increase oil leakage compared to the thinner MaxLife 10w-30 that you are currently running. As a personal choice I do not use synthetic blends, but that's just me.

Back