• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time for "new" 4.0?

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
ok. the jeep is 2wd, with a chrysler 8.25 rear end.
so far ive put j/y bearings on the crank due to two spun bearings and cracked the caps (made a metalic bsnging nouse) when accelerating.
so saved 190+ by going to the j/y and getting tge parts.
anyhow today the honey starts it up and she says it "clapped" at her for at least five minutes! aint never heard of any vehicle clapping before!
anyhow shes on cl looking for something else. which would mean getting rod of the xj first to have the money to get the next vehicle.
now if its something that i can fix (or have help fixing?) for much less, IM GAME!
the chevy cavalier we had was a nice LITTLE car, but it was just that.... LITTLE. Im not a little car person, and at six feet tall im not looking forward to squishing into another small car... we both like the jeep. but have not had the best of luck finding a reliable dd in the xj family. (i hate working on small cars. jeeps are in my blood, gotta have one!)

Im just wondering exactly WHAT could be causing mentioned "clapping" noise and can it be (relatively) easily fixed? (100 or less would be ideal!) or do i need to replace the engine now?

thanks for any / all input & answers!

Few hundred bones at the JY should net a complete motor to swap?
A sound clip of said noise would help.

Kind of side note: I'm 6'2approx 240lb. I currently daily a 97 Saturn SL (was cheap) and prior DD was a 72 VW beetle that was free from my dad. Anyways, I use/d these as my commute is 50+ miles per day. I can fit in both just fine.

Might be better off finding a beater DD for cheap. And keep the Jeep, because chances are you will not get a good price selling as is. Not sure if you have already, but post up in your local chapter to see if someone can help.

thanks Johnie Walker, but the only way to get a "cheap better" is if we sale the xj. my paychecks are just enough to keep a roof over our heads (for now) and a few gallons of gas in the jeep.
if i can get a recording of it i will post up. but i was at work when this happened.
can only hope that the local yard even has a jeep, let alone one with a whole engine from one.

Being a j/y motor who knows how long it has been sitting. I would think its worn or stuck lifters. My 88 4.0 makes clapping noise when first started after sitting for the night but it goes away after the oil pressure builds up. Also I’d look to see if the exhaust pipe is possibly to close the oil pan and taping against it (had this happen to me also). Another thing is check the bolts on the flywheel to make sure they are tight and not loose (a loose or cracked flywheel will make all kinds of noises that sound like your engine is about to blow)

ok, i want to get this straight.
you're engine spun 2 bearings and ruined 2 bearing caps so you replaced the bearings and caps from a junkyard engine as a fix ???
i understand wanting to save $$ but the "clapping" sound is likely your engine telling you you did it wrong.
the bearing caps are machined to match the block they came from, not universal.
the bearings are also not universal. especially when they are worn.
if you wasted a few bearings, you also wasted your crankshaft which will immediately waste any new bearing put on it.
what made you so sure your bearings were "spun" ?

well considering that when i dropped the pan (again, after having it off checking everything) the #4 & #5 caps were broken and the bearings were spun around 1/4 turn.... i think that equals to having bad bearings. not to mention the grooves dug into them by each other when they spun.
was it thru correct way of fixing it? no it wasn't. and it wasn't just about SAVING a few bucks... i didn't have the money to spend to do it correctly (pulling the engine, take it to a machine shop to have it line bored and all new parts put in it). i was not working at the time i had to do that specific fix.
so NOW, my honey is looking for a small (4 cylinder) vehicle.

so far ive put j/y bearings on the crank due to two spun bearings and cracked the caps (made a metalic bsnging nouse) when accelerating.
so saved 190+ by going to the j/y and getting tge parts.
anyhow today the honey starts it up and she says it "clapped" at her for at least five minutes! aint never heard of any vehicle clapping before!
anyhow shes on cl looking for something else.
Once a main bearing spins, the crank is toast and maybe the block.
You have mixed up pieces from several motors and now the block is toast.
There is no next to free way to fix this other than finding someone who gives you a motor gratis.
Your "honey" is right, it's time to find something more practical and economical

Back