• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fix for low oil pressure XJ

kelso1

NAXJA Forum User
This has worked for two Cherokees of mine. Cannot be 100% sure though. I had this issue like all of you when I saw a can
of BG 109. I used it for 3 oil changes and perfect oil pressure again. I ran it for 12-20 min. at 1500-2000 rpm. then drained oil. This is worth a try. Post results please.

Like has been said here many times, verify you have an oil pressure issue by renting or buying a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

If I wanted to clean up an engine, I would rather go the slow way: 5 QTS Rotella and 1 at MMO.

A heavy solvent like bg-109 might dislodge all kinds of crude, and who knows where it would settle or plug up.

Like has been said here many times, verify you have an oil pressure issue by renting or buying a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

If I wanted to clean up an engine, I would rather go the slow way: 5 QTS Rotella and 1 at MMO.

A heavy solvent like bg-109 might dislodge all kinds of crude, and who knows where it would settle or plug up.

This and drop the oil pan, check/replace the pickup/pump. Probably hasnt been done in awhile.

That works in hypothesis, but you don't know if it will in every case. Yes it breaks down carbon and build up. I have seen filters after, but it works well, and fast! If you don't have the cash on hand to replace an oil pump, or rod and cam bearings, or whatever else could be causing low pressures then this is a good idea. If you are worried about a mass amount of sludge suddenly killing your engine then your maintenance on your rig is in question. I spent about $50 and fixed two engines with low oil pressure. Luck or coincidence, you tell me.

Flush in a can can't replace metal. If your oil pressure came up then you may have had a clogged passage.

Flush in a can can't replace metal. If your oil pressure came up then you may have had a clogged passage.

this.

a flush is not going to fix worn rods and mains.

the "fix" of the low oil pressure may have simply been an oil change.

Am having a low oil pressure reading problem. When ignition switch is at "on" t/ oil pressure reads 10 psi i.e. prior to tuning t/ engine over. It then stays at 10 psi when t/ engine is operating. For years our XJ had t/ inst. cluster w/ the fault warning lights it lit once. Replaced that sensor no light. Since then a 4.7l I6 was added and ran w/ the warning/fault cluster w/out a problem. After adding a 2nd. JY inst. cluster now am w/ this 10 psi reading. Trying a 3rd inst. cluster JY sourced was t/ same as 2nd. being full time 10 psi. What multi-meter indications are expected when testing t/ 3 wires to t/ sensor? Are t/ 2 outer wires sense and return w/ the middle being to ground? Should someone be able to translate this English I'd appreciate your insight.

you had a dummy light cluster, you swapped to a gauge cluster.
You have to swap the sender out to match the cluster. Dummy light sender is a switch, gauge sender is resistance based to operate gauge.

you had a dummy light cluster, you swapped to a gauge cluster.
You have to swap the sender out to match the cluster. Dummy light sender is a switch, gauge sender is resistance based to operate gauge.
This XJ is a 1998 and has always used t/ 3 wire sensor. What multi-meter indications are expected when testing t/ 3 wires to sensor? Are t/ outer wires sense and return w/ the middle being ground? Should someone be able to read and translate t/ English herein I'd appreciate t/ insight.

then the PCM likely needs to be told that you've swapped a gauge cluster in.

PCM drives all gauges in late models.
FSM has the answers you need.

Ouch, $90 Factory Service Manual we'll slate it for purchase. Otherwise an Auto Meter p/n: 4327 was t/ idea for reading t/ oil pressure. It'll work independent of an ECU/PCM/FSM. I've a sensor for coolant H2O @ the block that is electric and reads same as t/ gauged sensor @ thermostat house. Also Auto Meter gauge. FSM 1-800-890-4038 correct? Should t/ English herein be acceptable thanks for t/ insight. adios.

mechbullxj,

If you are anywhere near NE Colorado Springs we can try swapping oil pressure sending units.

Regards

mechbullxj,

If you are anywhere near NE Colorado Springs we can try swapping oil pressure sending units.

Regards
md21722 thnxs for your suggestion I've tried a 2nd. sensor/sending unit w/ the same result of 10 psi. 87manche advice to look into a FSM is t/ way I'm thinking to resolve this w/ the PCM. Perhaps we'll meet up @ a Colorado NAXJA somethigorother. Look forward to meeting you and other members. Safe motoring. Fair English?...

Here are t/ details as to a repair made to an oil press. read from sensor to gauge.

The 5volt supply and sensor return wires were crossed from a splice I'd

made because t/ insulation had melted from its location to close to t/ ex-

haust. From seeing t/ info in t/ FSM pin ups I found my error. Thanks to

87manche for your advice in purchasing t/ manual.

At least it was simple! :thumbup:

All I want to know is- what in the hell does "t/" mean?

Back