• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan to shroud clearance?

Cheep Jerokee

NAXJA Forum User
Bought my `96 4x4 XJ 4.0 auto w/NP231 in February of this year. Replaced the following after flushing the block and heater core within the first two weeks of ownership: Radiator (OEM replacement aluminum core), 195 t-stat, All water hoses and heater valve and Fan clutch. Temps ok (205-210) for normal street and highway driving but tries to run hot 220+ if sitting for very long traffic or when out 4x crawling when outside temps are 95+. It take longer but still tries to run hot even with the aux fan running full time with or without the A/C on. I have not let it get into the red, it dose not boil or lose coolant. I have added a relay override switch for the aux fan and plan to replace the e-fan as it's making bad bearing noises and may not be turning full speed. What I noticed today while under it replacing the engine mounts and oil pan gasket was that the front/leading edge of the mechanical fan has quite a gap to the opening edge of the fan shroud. It also only clears things behind it by less than 1/4". I dug the old fan clutch out of the scrap metal pile and it was 1/4" longer than the currently installed fan clutch. The forum won't let me post a picture yet but I'm thinking the fan should be at least 3/4" to 1" closer to the shroud for it to efficiently pull air through the radiator. Any thoughts? or dose anyone else have any pictures of where the fan blade should be positioned in relation to the shroud?

have u checked the condition of the fan itself? after time they can lose their shape and the blades can flatten out some. this isnt always typical but i have seen it before. i had to replace mine when i bought my xj.

The fan appears to track straight and has good curve to the blades. I had thought that all the blades may have been pushed back but that does not appear to be the case.

Back