• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 XJ No Crank. Help.

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Ive put a new starter on it and that wasn't the issue. When I turn the key over to start it, all my gauges, lights and radio come on as normal, it just doesn't crank. I bought a new ignition switch to put on it but I wanted to make sure I am headed in the right direction.

The neutral safety switch is another thought, however Ive read that most of the time you can wiggle the shifter and get it to crank and also the reverse lights don't work if its gone bad. My reverse lights work and I haven't been able to get it to crank while working or wiggling the shifter.

Not really sure on how my steering column comes off, I watched a youtube video but my column is different than the one in the video. Ill post some pics in a few of what mine looks like. The ignition switch I bought is part # LS711.

Try wiggling the shifter in N when trying to start also, just to make sure its not the NSS. Have you tried jumping the starter with an old screwdriver across the terminals? You might want to try that to make sure its getting power, just be sure to use an old screwdriver and probably your old starter if you didn't return it for a core.

Check the fuses, check the ground and what not going to the starter. I had the same issue but it was my battery cables.

Going down the wrong road of replacing stuff on WAG. Either use a meter, or jump around possible problems to test.

One easy test is to jump from the big post (always hot) to the small post on the starter. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN PARK, and be prepared for some minor arcing. A screwdriver works. It should crank. Let us know.

With the key on and jumping the two post on the starter with a screw driver the jeep starts right up. So does this means it's not the NSS and is an ignition issue? Thanks.

This is the type of steering column I have. Is the electrical part of the ignition switch under the column cover or is it under the dash somewhere? Looks like its a pain in the butt to replace if it's under the column cover.

Warning: if u get motion sickness, proceed to the link with caution lol it's the only one I could find

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SEtNLxqE17E

With the key on and jumping the two post on the starter with a screw driver the jeep starts right up. So does this means it's not the NSS and is an ignition issue? Thanks.

When you cheat it by shorting the starter posts, you're verifying that the starter works and it's getting power from the battery. That doesn't mean that your NSS is good. That's why the guys told you to keep it in park, because you're bypassing that safety feature.

Ignition switches rarely go bad. We've seen it, but it's much more likely that there's a NSS problem. Have you tried taking it off and cleaning it and putting it back together. That's a 60 minute job that will eliminate a huge variable in your troubleshooting tree.

When you cheat it by shorting the starter posts, you're verifying that the starter works and it's getting power from the battery. That doesn't mean that your NSS is good. That's why the guys told you to keep it in park, because you're bypassing that safety feature.

Ignition switches rarely go bad. We've seen it, but it's much more likely that there's a NSS problem. Have you tried taking it off and cleaning it and putting it back together. That's a 60 minute job that will eliminate a huge variable in your troubleshooting tree.

I have not tried cleaning it but will try to over the weekend.

Back