• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird steering probem

GPride

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I seem to have a odd thing going on with my steering. When I turn left fairly sharp the steering seems to skip over for a sec, then acts right. After this the steering wheel is no longer centered. If I turn back to the right sharply, it seems to jump back to center. Box is not loose on unibody, drives as straight as an arrow, no pull.:helpme:Any ideas?

That is bad news. It is likely the worm drive gear inside the steering box has broken teeth which allows the 'skip' and the off-center steering wheel.
This will require a rebuild or remanufactured box.

Last edited:
That is bad news. It is likely the worm drive gear inside the steering box has broken teeth which allows the 'skip' and the off-center steering wheel.
This will require a rebuild or remanufactured box.
I have rebuilt over 100 boxes for XJs. I don't think that scenario is likely. More likely is that the track bar bracket is loose/broken or some other joint in the steering is crapped out.

I have rebuilt over 100 boxes for XJs. I don't think that scenario is likely. More likely is that the track bar bracket is loose/broken or some other joint in the steering is crapped out.
I see, that would cause the whole axle to shift left to right and mimic a steering issue. But wouldn't that cause death wobble as well?
I have head of folks adjusting the lash by guessing, with the steering box still in the jeep. And can have ill effects like the OP described.

I'm with Old-Man, best guess is the top Trac Bar joint is loose/shifting then it pops back into position again.

Have somebody push on the side of the fender (near the top crease so you don't dent anything) fairly hard and watch the top (and/or bottom) Trac Bar joint and/or mount. I'm tall and usually rock the XJ sideways with my butt.

While your down there look at the sector shaft while somebody turns the steering wheel left and right a few inches and see if it has up and down travel. And all the rest of the steering joints, paying special attention to the pitman and drag link joints.

The last Trac Bar I replaced the only real indicator was the steering would wander a little (which may have been my steering box), my steering wheel was off center and my 30/9.50 tires would occasionally rub on the LCA in a sharp turn. It drove fine, no wobble and the wander pretty much disappeared at higher speeds (above 30 MPH).

Last edited:
I'll check out the track bar, but it does feel like it jumps a tooth in the box. I have to wait till the weekend though, I live near Phoenix and it's been 110 when I get home from work.:sunshine:

Back