• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow and low, my budget Xj build

Bigred455

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently wheeling a '98 4 door XJ and my wheeling buddy is stepping up his game so that means I need to step mine up. Right now the drivetrain is 4.0L, AW4, 242, 3.55's and 33's. The front is a HP30 open and the rear is D44 with a mini spool. The lift is 2" coil spring spacers frt and IronMan4x4 adjustable lift shackles in the rear set 2", with 2" lift shocks properly bump stopped and no sway bars (64.5" to the drip rails).

I'm doing my best to keep it as low as possible and for what it is the jeep works really well, I've built it on a super tight budget spending only where necessary. This thing is a trailer queen, I don't drive it on the street, I'm not afraid to chop it up and if I destroy it I will just salvage what I can and move onto another XJ. So with that said I'm looking to spend some money and step up its game. Here's my idea, I'm looking for opinions as to whether or not what I'm planning is a bad idea, haha.

I'm due for a set of tires, so I'm thinking about going to 315/75R16 TreadWright Guard Dogs on my Moab 16's and I will base the rest of the build off of this. Im thinking I can get away with this by raising it 1" more with a set of 3" springs and then cranking the shackles some more, but my springs are pretty dead so I will first replace the springs and leafs and see where I am at. I'll add in a set of WJ Frt Lower control arms and see how the pinion angle is and adjust with uppers as needed. I have a set of red shock JK rubicons that should give me another 1-2" down as the shocks are the limiting factor now. I'll also add in an adjustable track bar to keep everything square.

Next onto gearing. I have a line on a Klune V 4:1 and would like to run this with my 242. I figure with the Klune I can get away without touching the 3.55 axle gearing and still have a high crawl ratio over 108:1. There's not a lot of metal left in the floors so cutting the floors to fit will be not a big deal. I'll add a Spartan locker in the frt and upgrade the U-joints and Diff Cover. Then just upgrade the cover on the rear and call it good. Lastly I'll do my best to flat belly the bottom while still retaining proper driveshaft angles to give max clearance.

How does this nonsense all sound, How bad of an idea is it? I welcome all comments. Thanks, George

Back