• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 rear seal and retainer for disc brakes

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all.
I swapped my rear D44 over to some KJ discs a while back. I tracked down a 1/4" ring spacer to make up for the extra thickness of the caliper backing plate, and it seems to be about right.
But, I just re-geared and now I'm pissing gear oil out the axle seals, and have destroyed a new set of pads :). No sense in new pads until I get the leak under control.
I figure these seals are probably the original and could benefit from a replacement, but as long as I'm doing the seal, I may as well do bearings and such, in which case I'd like to get rid of that spacer ring and just get the right retainer plate that has the spacer built in.
I know these came on rubi's, but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly what part to order. Does anyone happen to know?
I know some of the retainers with the spacer have offset mounting holes (like the 8.25 had) but my D44 mounting holes are not offset. I don't know what D44's had the weird offset holes and none of the local shops seem to know either.

Anyone happen to know which retainer plate works for this axle, and perhaps where to get one?
Ideally, I'd just order some new axle shafts with all this already installed.

From what I recall there are 2 options:
a) XJ retainers and you use the spacer (hint - tack weld the spacer to the retainer to make it easier to install)
b) TJ retainers with the lip (no spacer needed) and you have to redrill the bolt pattern

From what I recall there are 2 options:
a) XJ retainers and you use the spacer (hint - tack weld the spacer to the retainer to make it easier to install)
b) TJ retainers with the lip (no spacer needed) and you have to redrill the bolt pattern

Yea, I've done option 1, but I'm just not happy with it. I suppose I could pull it apart again and tack the spacer to the retainer plate, but I figured as long as i'm going to be putting new bearings and seal on, I may as well just get the rubi plate.
I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a rubi plate with the same pattern as the XJ D44, but can't for the life of me remember where.

Hey all.
I swapped my rear D44 over to some KJ discs a while back. I tracked down a 1/4" ring spacer to make up for the extra thickness of the caliper backing plate, and it seems to be about right.

Anyone happen to know which retainer plate works for this axle, and perhaps where to get one?
Ideally, I'd just order some new axle shafts with all this already installed.

Here are two part numbers from when I had mine built. The first number is from Jeep which are the ones I used. The second number is,...well it says Teleflex. I got it from an online forum some years back.

Retainer Plates 5083678AA

Teleflex SKU # 8636

Here are two part numbers from when I had mine built. The first number is from Jeep which are the ones I used. The second number is,...well it says Teleflex. I got it from an online forum some years back.

Retainer Plates 5083678AA

Teleflex SKU # 8636

5083678AA looks like the top holes are closed together than the bottom two, which is for the rubi d44 afaik.

Teraflex 8636 is the spacer I used, but I'm sure there was someone who had the correct retainer plate for the XJ D44, WITH the spacer already built in.

Of course, because I'm in Canada, I can't even get to this because I need axle studs before I can do this, and no one in Canada seems to know the difference between and axle stud and a wheel stud. Just spent 20 minutes and a wasted drive to Lordco, arguing that most rear solid axles do in fact, use stud bolts to hold the brake backing plate, and often the axle retainer plate, onto the axle tube. Everyone i've talked to insists I'm wrong and say that what I'm looking for is a wheel stud. If I don't reply beyond this message, it's because I've lost my shit, killed everyone, and am either dead or in prison.
****s sakes, I even called ahead because I know everyone's useless, and asked them to get me some axle studs, I gave them the sizes and sent them pictures. When I got there they had 16 wheels studs for me. :|

*edit* - Lordco manager (who says he used to work for Chrysler... lulz) says that Chrysler and Dana have never released any rear solid axle that uses studs to hold the brake backing plate and axle retainer on. They say they use 3 bolts to hold the "unibearing" into the knuckle. I explained that was correct, for FRONT AXLES that have knuckles that use "UNIT bearings" but that every solid rear axle I've ever seen uses these studs. Well, they don't have them but recommend that I bring one in to see if they have one. ... Jesus Christ :)

Last edited:
The D44 just uses plain jane 3/8" grade 8 fine thread bolts to secure the backing plate/shaft retainer plate. And I'm pretty positive that retainer plate you're looking for only comes in a Rubicon bolt pattern.

The D44 just uses plain jane 3/8" grade 8 fine thread bolts to secure the backing plate/shaft retainer plate. And I'm pretty positive that retainer plate you're looking for only comes in a Rubicon bolt pattern.

Yea, I know you can just throw a bolt through there, but I prefer to have the studs for ease of assembly, plus on the XJ D44, a lot of bolt heads are too big to fit and you have to grind a corner off.

I'll just go find myself some bolts and grind'm down for now and hope someone chimes in with the retainer plate I'm looking for. I know SOMEONE was selling them as I stupidly didn't order them when I was ordering a bunch of other parts because I wasn't sure if I was going to the discs :) Whoops.

Use the rubicon plates, they're super easy. I already had all my seals and bearings installed before I swapped to the plates- and wasn't too fond of having to cut out a big notch to slip them over the axles. So I cut them completely in half lengthwise. I ran a small bead of rtv around the outer edge of the seals, and installed each half of the rubi plates, torquing each bolt equaling til they were at spec. 20,000 and not even a sweat of fluid. Also, use quality seals. I prefer SKF.

As far as I know, no one makes XJ-44 specific disc retainer plates.

Back