• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 cut data link connector

Ronniexj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all...first post but I've been lurking for some time.

I have a 97Xj 4.0 AW4, I bought the jeep broken down with a bad head gasket, cooling system etc....
I just changed out the motor and trans mounts, after getting done i moved some of the wiring around the trans dipstick and found that my data link connector wiring (grey 6 pin I believe) to my AW4 had been cut clear in half. I looked around the transmission but can't find the rest of the wiring to splice it back together.

Does anyone have a picture or info on where the wiring leads to?

I'll add pictures later, thank you.

Could you be mistaken about it being a Data Link connector?

See this pic:

jpgTRS_TCA.jpg

Is it the TRS/NSS connector?

Here's '97 trans connector pinouts. Says Black for the TRS, but it has been actually seen as Gray.

Connectors shown go to the TCM, not the transmission. Transmission connector sides are the mirror image of what is shown.

97TCMPINOUT.jpg

Here is the connector that is cut off: It looks like a TRS connector, however my wiring seems to be all connected and I dont see another end anywhere thats not connected?
connector.jpg

And another:
connector2.jpg

Here is my trans wiring, it looks like its the same as the picture you posted.
wiring.jpg

And another:
wiring2.jpg

And lastly my jeep: I do not know what has been done or swapped on it previously. Bought it from a girl that just didn't want to pay to have it fixed, 142kmiles on it.
jeep.jpg

Last edited:
You have two Gray connectors. Leave it to Chrysler.

That looks like the TRS you have in hand.

Go by the wire colors listed in the pinout charts. The wire colors are listed in the column heaed "Circuit"

The first set of numbers/letters in the column, per pin cav number, is the circuit ID, the next number is the wire gauge, and the next set of letters is the wire colors. The first letter set is the wire primary color and the next is the tracer in the wire.

I'm not following you...

I understand that I am holding a TRS connector. And its grey instead of black.

However my vehicle does indeed have a TRS wired in already and it seems connected at both ends...The picture i took of my TCM/Trans wiring is WITHOUT that connector in my hand plugged in.

The wiring color coming from the TCM matches that of the diagram. The other end looks like a duplicate of the TRS im holding in hand...

Is it possible that the TRS i have in my hand was cut during a tranny swap and they used the wiring from the new transmission that was put in?
(I do not know if the trans was ever changed, but does that seem possible?)

Last edited:
I'm not following you...

I understand that I am holding a TRS connector. And its grey instead of black.

However my vehicle does indeed have a TRS wired in already and it seems connected at both ends...The picture i took of my TCM/Trans wiring is WITHOUT that connector in my hand plugged in.

The wiring color coming from the TCM matches that of the diagram. The other end looks like a duplicate of the TRS im holding in hand...

Is it possible that the TRS i have in my hand was cut during a tranny swap and they used the wiring from the new transmission that was put in?
(I do not know if the trans was ever changed, but does that seem possible?)

Are you saying then that you have an extra TRS connector half floating around. The one in the first and second pic?

Is the third and fourth pics the actual connections?

The TRS is the NSS, as its called hereabouts. Crawl under your Jeep and look at the wiring coming out of the NSS and trace it up to the dipstick area connectors - is it hooked up?

Is there another "Cut" chunk of harness tied up in there?

Are you saying then that you have an extra TRS connector half floating around. The one in the first and second pic?

From what I can tell it is extra. Everything is hooked up under the hood, but yet I had that loose connector stil. I noticed it wasnt attached to anything after completing a motor mount swap and pulled it out from under the hood. It was still in some wire loom, I traced the wire loom to the top of the trans and it just stopped...I couldnt find any cut wiring.

Is the third and fourth pics the actual connections?

Yes, they are hooked up and are seperate from the loose connector. (The loose connector is literally loose and was not connected under hood at any time during photos.)

The TRS is the NSS, as its called hereabouts. Crawl under your Jeep and look at the wiring coming out of the NSS and trace it up to the dipstick area connectors - is it hooked up?

Is there another "Cut" chunk of harness tied up in there?

It is hooked up and runs to the other TPS connector under hood. The trans goes into Drive. Which I would assume would not happen if the NSS wasnt connected? I could not find anything not hooked up or any cut wires anywhere else, which is why I posted the question.

I'm waiting on a TPS, as it is stuck in limp mode. I got a CEL code for a bad TPS right when I bought the jeep. And for the 2 miles I drove the jeep it went through all gears before the CEL illuminated.

Weird right.

Looks like I've answered my own question, thanks for the help SidewinderCC! I'm assuming the NSS was replaced previously and they cut the wiring and left it there after the new one was installed.

I though I had accidentaly cut the wiring during my engine jacking! I feel relieved.

Looks like I've answered my own question, thanks for the help SidewinderCC! I'm assuming the NSS was replaced previously and they cut the wiring and left it there after the new one was installed.

I though I had accidentaly cut the wiring during my engine jacking! I feel relieved.

Have a cool one. :cheers:

Back