• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 slipping and no reverse after sitting

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep sat for 5 months while I did my axle swap. During that time I changed my Trans lines because they were leaking bad! So it drove fine in December I parked it and started my swap then as soon as I got it done (today) I put it in drive and it was kind of low so I put fluid in it and in doing so I over serviced it. Then in the autozone parking lot I lost drive and reverse but park works fine. It over heated quite bad so i drained it and put in new fluid. It will drive for 3/4 of a mile no problems after the flush then it decides to just die? Any ideas?
It's a 98 4.0L with 228k on it and it runs pretty good.

Edit it didn't wanna reverse. Should I look into a new pump or just trash this Trans?

Since you overfilled it, you probably foamed the trans fluid.
It won't act right until the fluid cools and un-foams.

How are you filling it?
With the transmission cold...
Put transmission in "N", then check the fluid level. The level should be a bit above add.

Or if you prefer hot, the fluid level should be no higher than the HOT mark.

-Ron

Since you overfilled it, you probably foamed the trans fluid.
It won't act right until the fluid cools and un-foams.

How are you filling it?
With the transmission cold...
Put transmission in "N", then check the fluid level. The level should be a bit above add.

Or if you prefer hot, the fluid level should be no higher than the HOT mark.

-Ron

Thanks for the info I will check tomorrow and play around a bit more with it

Back