• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 cherokee starter click after flexplate replacement

h20pumper

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all, my 2000 cherokee was making the awful metal noise from a cracked flywheel. I have very limited time and this is a spare vehicle. I started about a month ago dropping the transmission to replace the cracked flexplate. Well today I finally put the flexplate to torque convertor bolts back in and the starter. I do not have the exhaust hooked up, i need to figure out how to replace the bolts stuck in the flange, but the front and rear o2 sensors are not hooked up.

As far as i can tell i have all other sensors hooked up. the starter has 190k on it and seemed to turn slow before. Anyways I first had barely click and no crank. No problem its been sitting for month, the battery is really old and i bought a spare before with just in case. I put the new battery in all the lights comes glowing on, hear the fuel pump come on. I turn the key and nothing. Just a single click like starter solenoid is bad or stuck. Any suggestions before I replace the starter.

make sure the cable to starter is clean and tight. same with starter to bellhousing bolts.

You may want to try and turn the engine over by hand with a ratchet and socket on the front pulley. if you dont get the trans/torque-convertor lined up with engine/flexplate, it can bind and not turn at all.

i replaced the cable while i was under there and the engine spins freely. Ill probably just take the plunge and buy a new starter.

i pulled the starter from the jeep and hookup it up to battery with jumper cables. The solenoid engaged the gear but the motor would not spin. I picked up a new starter it roared to life. With a new battery/cables and starter it starter 50% faster than before.

Back