• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 safe oil level?

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced pilot bearing and clutch/flywheel this week, but don't have a pump to get more oil into the tranny and really don't feel like pulling the center console. I left the oil in it but of course poured some out during installation (all over myself and in my mouth). I doubt if I dropped more than 1-1.5L.
I can pick up a pump, but it's definitely not within' walking distance and I've got no other wheels today.

How much oil is safe to drive a short distance (15 minutes, very light duty as I'm also breaking in a new R&P set) ?
Would half full be dangerous? (I've never had an ax15 apart and have no idea how oil is transfered internally).

*edit* - I guess I should also ask about gear oil. I've read everywhere that Mopar's new PN for the AX15 fluid is actually just 10w30 oil. Every thread I've found on the subject seems to be a debate about whether to use GL3 80w90 (a unicorn) or regular 10w30. As 10w30 is waaay thinner than 80w90, so it seems odd to me that the trans shipped with 80w90 GL3, most of the service manuals state 80w90, but Mopar themselves now recommend 10w30.
Can anyone chime in on this?

Last edited:
It's probably fine to drive, the ax15 capacity is a little over 3.5 quarts.

Many run the motor oil and are happy with it. I run redline mtl or mt 90 and.am.happy with it.

Do not put gl5 gear lube in your ax15, the.sulphur will attack your syncro rings, and any other yellow metals.

my ax5 specs. 75w90 synth. fwiw.

Thanks all. Got it handled. Canadian Tire had a 1L grease suction gun, and I threw some 10w30 in there. Took it for it's first test drive (with new gears and new tranny fluid) and all seems well. Shifting still feels about as crappy as before. Somehow this was my most expensive Jeep I ever bought, and has the most problems :) I should probably stick to sub $800 Jeeps from now on.
Probably throw a new trans in next time one comes up for cheap.

Back