• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is Hesco a quality product?

jhc7399

NAXJA Forum User
Doing a rebuild on a 96 4.0. Curious if Hesco Water pump, High flow Thermostat housing, Thermostat & Oil pump are a sound investment?

Been lurking for a couple of months now but first time post, thanks for your help.

They have been in business for a very long time and do have a reputable reputation. IMO, a high quality radiator beats the performance of both the water pump and the T-Stat housing combined.

Hate to say "do a search" but....

Numerous threads here on cooling systems.

Oil pump. The question to be asked is: What is the desired end result you are looking for? The stock pump performs adequately for about 99% of all the 4.0 Litres out there. For example, my rig is Supercharged and it still has it's original oil pump in it. Until and unless I see a need to replace it, it will stay right where it is...

Last edited:
I've been running their water pump and high flow tstat housing since 2007 without any issues. The impeller on the water pump is pretty impressive when you compare it to your old water pump. The high flow tstat housing appears to just be a stock housing that they machine out slightly but the added flow does seem to make a difference and its pretty cheap. The tstat housing is likely something you could do with a dremel and some time but again, if your buying other things then throwing that in is not too big of a deal.

With the pump and housing I was running a high flow thermostat that flowed too much and was causing me to over cool pretty bad in the winter. I stepped down to a stock thermostat to avoid over cooling in the AZ winter.

I haven't bought anything else from Hesco but I certainly would not hesitate to.

I'm running Hesco Hi Flow pump and tstat housing probably 8 years now. My first pump lasted almost 5 years and just swapped in another 3 years ago. I had the same experience as iwan with the hi flow tstat, too cool in the winter. I found a shop in Washington state will rebuild Hescos for a fair price so I have a spare.

My water pump finally started to leak out of the weep hole the other day. Sad to see it finally die but I think that I certainly got my money out of it.

I've been running the t-stat and housing in my '00 wrangler for a few years now. Definitely made a huge difference while on the trails with it getting warm.
I just recently picked up a '99 XJ and had to replace the engine. I put a t-stat and housing on the replacement engine along with a OSC radiator from RockAuto and it runs normal temps like it should. But it's still "winter" in the NW yet. Could change when temps get warmer.
As far as their water pumps go, I haven't used them. Their site says the newer 4.0L engines from like '97 and up already use a high flow pump factory. So didn't see the need to spend the money on one of them not little to no gain in cooling.

What the thought on rebuilding a water pump? I feel the main advantage to the hesco pump is the impellar. I'd like to reuse the impellar as it looks brand new of course.

Back