• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure gauge squirrely

I have a 2000 XJ with 185,000 miles. At idle, the gauge reads 29. When driving 55 mph, the gauge reads 60. Either my gauge is faulty, or the sending unit is faulty, or my oil pump is going bad. Any thoughts?

Since 4.0L sending unit failure is common, and the sending unit is the cheapest and easiest part to replace, a new sending unit is the logical solution. As suggested in most of the previous wonky oil pressure threads, you can always test the actual oil pressure with a mechanical gage.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 XJ with 185,000 miles. At idle, the gauge reads 29. When driving 55 mph, the gauge reads 60. Either my gauge is faulty, or the sending unit is faulty, or my oil pump is going bad. Any thoughts?
The readings you are getting are absolutely fine. The pressure varies with rpms and yours look typical.

Almost identical mileage on my 2000 XJ, same oil PSI too. Perfectly normal. If you had 25 psi at 55, that would be a concern.

Thanks Old_Man and XJEEPER. I guess I had not noticed that before. I thought that the oil pressure seemed low at idle and high at cruising speeds! If you think it appears normal, then I wont worry about it! Thanks for the clarification!

Back