• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj sport potential buy

AutoXSS

NAXJA Forum User
Im very new to xj's and have done some research on the matter of 0331. Found one close to me that I might get. 2000 with 133k. Im sure with little maintenance. Its throwing a code for multiple missfire and another specifically for cyl 1&6, as the owner told me. He believes it only needs a coil pack and some plugs. Im comfortable with that, no problem, but is this any indicator towards a possible 0331 mishap? Im gonna see it in a few days and will bring a coil pack with me. Im gonna swap it out as well as the plugs and check the overflow and oil for signs of the issue. Cost will be $2k if it works out. Ive read that it mostly occurs between cyl 3&4, so im hoping that the coil and plugs cures the missfires and I'll be a new xj owner

Any insights and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Bare in mind I am new and have seen how some forums beat up and hate on newbies. Im Have done searches and will continue to till I go see it. Im just looking for insights from people who know there stuff and this is the place to ask.

Bring a code scanner to verify the codes yourself.

The misfire could be caused by a mechanical rather than electrical issue. You may want to bring a compression tester to see if the misfire is caused by low compression. I had leaky exhaust valves on mine.

Check the coolant to verify it's nice and yellow/green... if it's milky or very dirty that could also be a sign of blown head gasket or cracked 0331 head. Neglecting the cooling system is a major concern and cause of problems in '00-'01 XJ's.

Coil pack and plugs is not logical. Why didn't he change the plugs before? Mine has a cracked head. The only way I know is that it uses coolant and has mayonnaise inside the oil fill cap.

Save yourself some grief and just plan that the head is cracked. I got suckered into buying mine.

Back