• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up Country Suspension package

Townie

NAXJA Forum User
Please, a few details of this package? My 97's rear end is saggin' a bit. Are the rear leafs different? Which components make up Up Country (part #'s if ya have 'em) ? Also, is this option only available at the boneyard? TIA

The UC leaf pack in my '90 where shot when I got it. I threw in an 2" AAL and it made a huge difference. The handling in the rear firmed up nicely and the ride height leveled out after the AAL settled.

my 98 is saggin to. Chryser must have used some really cheap spring steel or something. Mine doesn't even get offroaded or haul anything. It is already equped with the UC option. The UC coils ride like a 3/4 ton pickup in the front and I am thinking of tossing them out for some OME coils.

I've loved mine-

Personally i have loved the change to UC springs in my '98....absolutely loved it. The added control the used ZJ 5.9 front coils and new UC leaf packs added was amazing. Does not dive as used to when encountering massive dips in dirt or sand or wherever. Handles bumps in a more controlled fashion, deals with loading way better. I even kept the stock front non-UC shocks and changed to HD air shocks in the rear for some adjustability. Some aftermarket shocks are too stiff from what i have gathered. Maybe they are designed for more compliant springs, which these are not particularly.

Was one of the best mods i made to my '98 4.0.

erikrs301 said:
The UC leaf pack in my '90 where shot when I got it. I threw in an 2" AAL and it made a huge difference. The handling in the rear firmed up nicely and the ride height leveled out after the AAL settled.

AFAIK there was no upcountry package in the '90 model... if anything it would have had the towing package but that would only mean firmer stiffer ride and no extra height.....

I agree with you Judd... I loved my UC.... till the shortie AAL I had finally killed it..... Oh well... now I'm loving my RE 3.5" pack :)

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
AFAIK there was no upcountry package in the '90 model... if anything it would have had the towing package but that would only mean firmer stiffer ride and no extra height...

That's correct. And back then the optional springs were VERY stiff. I have them in my '88. At 239,000+ miles, having hauled loads across country that had me riding on the bump stops all the way, they haven't sagged a bit.

I don't think the older springs were poor quality at all. Of course, sufficient abuse can kill anything.

Oh yea, mine was called the "Jeep Off-Road Package" back then and came with a nifty sticker for the back window. Basically the same as UC with front & rear tow hooks, skids and stiffer sprangs making it sit aboot 1" higher.

If it had a towing package, I would not have had to install a hitch ;)

Sounds like a great excuse to add a couple of inches to it!!!

Nice little 3" bump looks great and adds a lot of function to the XJ. I used ProComp but those silly little add a leaf things didn't help with my aged leaf springs. I replaced them with 3.5 BDS springs. About 3 bills. Check it out.

Back