• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease Slip Yoke Splines?

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj, 2wd, ax15, 8.25 axle

I cannot get a definitive answer on this by searching. Given my specs above, do I need to grease the splines on my slip yoke, or are they taken care of by tranny fluid?

Thanks!

This is also true for the slip yoke on a 97 2wd with an ax15? Mine is definitely going into the transmission.

Thanks!

If you're really feeling persnickety, GM actually had a slip yoke lube back in the ninetys.

If you're looking to reassemble after trans/drive shaft service, I'd use a bit of petroleum jelly, (its transmission safe, its been used as an assembly lube for years). A dab spread on the output shaft seal and a bit on the splines and call it a day. But with the gearlube (75w90) in the ax15, I wouldn't worry about the splines as much as the seal. Make sure the gear lube level is up to snuff on the trans.

Thanks for the info! 2wd XJs must be really, really rare compared to 4wd. I searched for an answer longer than I care to say before finally posting here. So, to future searchers, the slip yoke on this setup is lubed by the transmission.

Anyway, she's all buttoned back up with new u-joints and so far that irritating grinding noise is gone.

Back