• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 cherokee turn signal/ multifunction switch replacement questions

Drftem

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have used the search function along with searching yahoo and have come up with no tutorials on how to change the turn signal switch in my non tilt column. My turn signal switch has been broken since I bought the jeep( when turning left I would manually have to turn off the blinkers. Today they just stopped working. I tried swapping the 4 way flasher into the turn signal flasher spot and blinkers still wouldn't work so I am certain it is the switch. I picked up a new switch today and will be renting a steering wheel puller tomorrow to attempt to tackle this project. I'd appreciate any and all help....

I'm guessing it is a early column (GM). There is a special tool to compress the steering lock ring (spring) to remove the clip, it really makes the job a lot easier. You can likely rent or borrow one.

Unhook your battery.

I lay a piece of plywood on two saw horses and cover it with a rag and lay the parts out in a row as I remove them. A Lot of bits and pieces, easy to loose one or forget the sequence during reassembly.

The plastic pieces in there are really brittle, take your time and be careful. Some of the wiring is a real pain to get disconnected, I cheated and cut a few and soldered them back together.

There are many write ups on the web for taking the top part of the column apart.

If your turn signal rod is kind of floppy and loose, it may be as easy as tightening a single screw and may have nothing or little to do with the assembly. I've had that screw come loose on numerous GM type columns.

Ok so I replaced my multifunction switch and still no blinkers but the hazards work. Swapped back to my switch which wasn't returning due to a missing spring. I've checked the turn signal fuse which is fine and am now left stumped....

So I bought a new heavy duty flasher and verified it is working by installing it in the hazards location which now they flash faster. So I put the Wagner flasher from the hazard spot into the blinkers spot and still nothing. Anyone have any ideas on what else to look at?

I've a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with out a Multifunction switch. Using a SPST for t/ high beams. For t/ turn signal use a SPDT & hazard lights a DPDT. On earlier XJs t/ wiring to t/ flashers is: X=ignition L=turn signal and X=battery L=hazard. Later XJs use a single unit flasher specific for hazard and turn signal use. The Chrysler p/n: 56021551 or EP-27 for LED use. One could use t/ later wiring to this unit X to ignition L to turn signal switch. Battery to X L to turn signal. Also ground for t/ flasher relay. It was easier to test t/ wiring by "bench testing" out of t/ Jeep. A salvaged rear light harness was also used. These switches do work in place of a Multifunction. Should this not work for you I would think you've a break in t/ wires along t/ line. CYA Wink.

JHC and WTH.... Do you think you could write so that the average dummy such as myself could translate into English? You used periods and caps where appropriate so I know you know how. I guess "t/" is "the", not sure what "CYA Wink" is -- Cover Your Ass while closing one eye?

Hi I have a 89xj drivers side turn and driving light has vary low voltage coming out, not even enough to light up so my question is were is the multifunction switch on my 89. Thanks

I've a 1998 Cherokee, the multifunction switch is your L-R turn signal, headlamp high beam switch, momentary high beam flash, and hazard signal as one column switch. It is located to the left of your steering wheel, as a 1989 XJ you may be able to replace with another switch, plug in and go.

Last edited:
Back