• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar purple cam + lifters : what valve springs ? Missing anything else ?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I have been searching and I plan to order the Mopar Purple cam with lifters kit p4529229. what else should I be concerned about?

So just to address the cam swap, am I missing anything else- my main concern is valve springs. many guys recommend the P4529215 's, so I was planning on grabbing 12 of them as well. Break in lubes like Z grease or just some Moly grease?

I also plan on having a 3 angle valve job done at local cylinder head shop and use a kit to port and polish the head , mopar performance head gasket P4529242 as well as a melling high volume oil pump 167mvs, new del-pro head bolt kit, in case anyone asks.

I am already running long tube headers and bored TB, ford 19lb injectors.

There are many folks that just do the cam and lifters and call it done.

Last edited:
You might want to repost this in the Street and Performance forum.
That's where the engine experts hang out.

You might want to repost this in the Street and Performance forum.
That's where the engine experts hang out.

Thanks. thats a good call. I'm not gonna lie, I really don't know the first thing about engine work...

You can re-use the existing valve springs, retainers, and keepers with the 28 and 29 cams. I had to use bigger lift springs with matching retainers and keepers with the 30 cam. Don't bother with the hv pump. Do the PnP before the valve job and make sure you've read up on what to do and what to leave alone on the PnP.

Last edited:
Ya I need to research the PNP much more , I plan to have my 2 spare heads magnafluxxed and pnp the best one or both. I need to look into what to not touch in the head for the pnp. good to know I can keep stock valve springs with that cam.

So I bought a spare motor for 80$ with a brand new timing set and brand new HV pump, thats why I'm slapping it on there, and I need to do the oil pan gasket anyway and the rear main so Ill do it all at once.

I am also wondering if the 29 cam will provide more low end torque realistically. I've read on the stroker forums:

"The 29 has less overlap than the stock cams, so will build torque earlier "

im not gonna lie, I do lots of suspension, axle swaps, steering stuff, etc etc etc, but I am clueless about engine related stuff. I am a novice. I just figured since I am tearing it apart do a cam.

At the same time, maybe a PNP, mopar head gasket, and valve job will do a lot.

Last edited:
I had to pound out the oil-pan a bit to get the hv pickup to fit. I'm assuming the spare motor's pan has already been "massaged" to fit it. And yes, the 29 cam should build low-end torque earlier than the stock cam.

I had to pound out the oil-pan a bit to get the hv pickup to fit. I'm assuming the spare motor's pan has already been "massaged" to fit it. And yes, the 29 cam should build low-end torque earlier than the stock cam.

awesome. this is all great news. Ill see what the pump needs as far as massaging the pan.

so with this cam will I need to swap injectors (currently ford 19lb 4 nozzle) or get a MAP adjuster?

Would CA smog be an issue??

Or basically I can bolt it up and call it good

Back