• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Wiring Help Needed - Diagram Inside

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Don't normally cross post...but I know everyone in the Colorado Chapter doesn't always come in here and vice versa :D

Alright, so one of the things I still need to do on the buggy is wire up switches for headlights (low/high beam).

I would prefer to have it on one switch (DPDT) that way one way is low, one way is high, and center (neutral) is off. If needed two switches (SPST) could be used.

So here is the FSM diagram below:

23rmwyh.jpg

SO we have:

- CAV 4, 7 and 8 are Fused B(+) and therefore power
- CAV 2 and 9 are headlamp switch output. One each for L/R, or one each for Low/High?
- CAV 1, 3, 5, and 6 appear to be unneeded.

So Any input as to how one would go about hooking up the headlights?

I'm off to do some meandering through the FSM to try and figure stuff out.

I can grab screen shots of the wiring diagrams if needed as well.

Looking at them now to try and walk through it...

Not that I have anything useful to offer, but to what year range does that diagram apply?

If you use relays to drive the high amperage load (recommended method), you can use two relays, one for low and one for high beams. Then, you can use a SPDT switch with center off for the trigger of the relays.

This also has the advantage of keeping the high amperage wires shorter, by mounting the relays closer to the headlights.

In your FSM diagram, the headlight switch doesn't control high/low beams. That is the function of the dimmer / turn signal switch. The headlight switch merely supplies power to the dimmer switch. For bet longevity of the headlight and dimmer switch, relays are a good idea.

David Bricker / SYR

Not that I have anything useful to offer, but to what year range does that diagram apply?

This is for a 99 (though it applies to my 98 as far as i've seen).

If you use relays to drive the high amperage load (recommended method), you can use two relays, one for low and one for high beams. Then, you can use a SPDT switch with center off for the trigger of the relays.

This also has the advantage of keeping the high amperage wires shorter, by mounting the relays closer to the headlights.

In your FSM diagram, the headlight switch doesn't control high/low beams. That is the function of the dimmer / turn signal switch. The headlight switch merely supplies power to the dimmer switch. For bet longevity of the headlight and dimmer switch, relays are a good idea.

David Bricker / SYR

Shouldn't need to use relays...not when using the stock harness.

I'm not building a bypass harness. If I do use relays it will be because I'm using a BigOffroad harness that I've had forever.

I think I might have been looking at the wrong connector.

I think I might have made this way more complicated than I thought...might be able to just use the headlamp beam select switch wires.

Going to check tomorrow after work and I shall report back :D

Well, got the headlights figured out...much simpler when just going straight to the headlamp beam select switch below:

s6rwhi.jpg

The B(+) (power) wasn't hot...so I just bypassed it and took a hot wire and plugged it into the low and high beam ports...lights came right on. So I'll use these wires to hook up the lights to two SPST switches.

Now...for the blinkers.

Sam (zluster) and I figured this out before and I wrote it down on printed papers, and now can't find them :(

Blinker connector:

33tow05.jpg

If I take a hot wire and plug into ports 1, 3, 9 or 10 the turn signals light up (but don't blink obviously).

What I'm trying to remember/figure out is how to get the blinker (combination flasher) to work with it.

Back