• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Progressive rate coil springs?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I have two pairs of progressive rate coils that are both 3.5" lifts for xj's but I noticed that on one pair the tighter coils are on the bottom where it sits on the axle while the other pair the tighter coils are on top and where the coil sits on the body. Like this
yma5yqes.jpg

Was curious to get input as to which one does better? Is there a preferable side that the tighter coils should be on?

I would think you would want the closer loops on the bottom.

For the sole reason that your 'first wrap' cant get tucked inside of the second wrap at hard compression. That may not actually be a problem, it just doesn't feel right to me. ;)

Yes and no, mostly no.

Both compress together. If the tight was 100 inch pound and the bigger loops were 200 inch pound, and you put 300 pounds on the car - the tight coils would compress 2 inches and the bigger ones would compress 1 inch.

So reading and searching about, I think these coils are dual rate instead of progressive? Found this pic
7u8ymypy.jpg

The dual rate looks more like the one I have on the right in the first pic I posted. So I started looking at who does dual rates coils.. I might have metalcloak coils?
sybypyne.jpg

I'm curious as to who makes these springs now. The coils I have that are on the left of the first pic show what would be a progressive but these look like dual rate?

Back