• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny downshift problems

skunkapeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm having some trouble with my tranny lately. I have an 01 sport automatic and lately my transmission doesn't seem to be downshifting into 1st until I come to a complete stop and sometimes not until I release the brake pedal to start going again. When it does this it seems to shift pretty hard, enough that I can feel it. Almost like someone gave me a light bump from behind. Any ideas of what could be causing this or where I should start. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

That sounds almost like it's slamming into first when you give it throttle, actually. How is the trans fluid quality and level? Mine would do that if I braked hard to a stop, but if I coasted slowly to a stop it would be fine. Ended up being 1.5 quarts low on fluid!

Also, check your throttle valve cable - it may need adjusting. Any check engine light or trouble codes?

Ok changed the fluid and filter still have the same problem but it seems to be a bit smoother. Ay tips on adjusting the tvc specifically for the downshift or is it basically just a universal adjustment that just needs to go back to factory specs

I adjusted the cable and my tranny still isn't downshifting till I stop completely. Should I play around with the adjustment. Or is their anything else I should be looking at

I'd find someway to pull the codes. Just a shot in the dark, but I'd be thinking trans speed sensor and/or TPS.

The first thing I'd do is clean the tranny connector and visually check the harness.

Had the auto store plug in the OBD and their were no codes. I didn't know the brake light switch had anything to do with the tranny shifting but my brake lights work. It makes sense kind of though because when i feel that it hasn't shifted to first by the time I stop as soon as I let off the brake I feel it kick down into first. I'll have to take a look at the trans connector and harness tomorrow in the daylight. If nothing I may just get a new TPS and TSS and see if that does anything. I don't think this problem will cause any long term damage (I could be wrong) but it is extremely annoying when anything on my jeep isn't working how it should. Thanks for the input guys

So still having the same problem changed TPS changed fluid twice still no codes. I was thinking of buying a tranny speed sensor but not sure if it would be the input or output sensor? If that doesn't work the only other things I can think to do is shift solenoids then tcu. I tried to test the ohms on the solenoids from the harness but couldn't really get myself up in there to do so. Any other suggestions or input would be great.

Back