• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7pin hitch wiring 2001 classic

Jonnyb

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the best way to wire a 7 pin connecter to a 2001 Cherokee classic that didn't come with a factory tow package. I bought the XJ three weeks ago and plan on towing a small popup camper that takes a 7 pin plug. I got a hitch with wiring harness off a mid 90s xj sport free from a friend I just got the hitch mounted(and all the dirt out of my mouth eyes ears) but the connecter from the donor is a green square plug and my jeep doesn't have anything like it. So what would be the best way to wire it. Should I get a T connecter type for the 4 pin and splice it to the wires of the 7pin and and splice in the power wire somewhere. I don't have brakes on the camper so Im not concerned about that just need the lights and the power

Should I get a T connecter type for the 4 pin and splice it to the wires of the 7pin and and splice in the power wire somewhere.

yes.

Run a wire from an ignition switched relay for the trailer power Fused at the battery, something like 8-10 ga.
I'm assuming that the power wire is to charge it's onboard battery, not to run it from your starting battery.

Don't try to wire it in yourself. I did that on my old 2000 and somehow grounded out all of the oxygen sensors. Get the adapter and be done with it.

Thanks for the replies
87mancha-you are right it's just to charge the deep cycle battery
93gc40-I dont know that that will get me power?

Thanks for the replies
87mancha-you are right it's just to charge the deep cycle battery
93gc40-I dont know that that will get me power?

it will not, but the Jeep uses a 3 wire turn/brake/parking lamp setup. For trailers that have a common bulb and two wires you need the converter, unless your jeep has the factory trailer harness plug. You should look for that behind the driver side taillight. It's a big fat plug. You'd only have it if the Jeep was ordered with the tow package.

It doesn't have the plug that would be too easy so i should get one of the four pin kits and splice in the wires I need and run power from the fuse panel?

It doesn't have the plug that would be too easy so i should get one of the four pin kits and splice in the wires I need and run power from the fuse panel?

you need the 3 into 2 converter, that will give you the stop/turn/tail lighting.

I would recommend running a heavy gauge wire from the engine compartment, on a relay, switched from the ignition, and fused directly from the battery for your charging circuit. You may even want to consider an RV style isolation diode. That way if you leave it connected the camper won't kill your starting battery.

DO NOT attempt to tap into an interior 12V wire to charge your deep cell. It won't go well, none of those wires are adequate for that kind of current.

Back