• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I replace my torque conveter seal?

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have my motor out, I don't have any signs of leaking should I replace it anyway since I'm here?

87 4.0

Last edited:
Is it necessary, no. Is it a good idea...absolutely YES. It's a $3 part. I's also replace the rear freeze plug if it shows any corrosion, weakness or other compromise. Not hard to do.

The most critical part is re-seating the torque converter itself. Easier with the tranny out too, but if the tranny is NOT out I wouldn't bother taking it out just to seat the TC, it can be done in place.

When you remove the torque converter, just pull it out and place it on a flat surface with the front DOWN (otherwise all the tranny fluid could spill out)

You could also then drain and refill the TC with fresh fluid. Turn it over onto a clean drain pan and only replace what comes out (As in 2 qts out = 2 qts in.).

After you replace the seal (also not hard to do, just don't scratch the shaft and use a seating tool like a piece of 1.5" PVC/ABS and tap the seal in) put the TC back on, it needs to seat by turning and gently pushing until it clunks in, then do that two more times. The nose of the TC should be approx. 1 1/2" inside the bell housing. Turn, clunk, turn, clunk, turn, clunk.

If it were me I'd also replace the rear main seal on the engine just for fun ($15.00 part)

Last edited:
Back