• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to replace cracked flexplate?

Oregon91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 cherokee automatic and i have narrowed my knocking sound to a cracked flexplate. :bawl:

How do i go about replacing it and what do i need parts wise? and do i have to drop the tranny to replace it? All feedback helps thanks.

You WILL have to seperate the motor/trans at least 6", yes.

You will need a new, uncracked flexplate. Id source a used one. When you goto install it, you cannot install it wrong anyway except backwards, the 6 holes mating it to the crankshaft self-clock it. Make sure you use some kind of thread locker, id use medium strength.

Welcome to the site, shame its under such circumstances.

Since tranny down, I replaced my Torque Converter at the same time.... made sense, just a little extra money. Also, replace the rear freeze plug, since you'll have access if you fully remove the tranny.
Lots of threads on this subject.

Note from DJ
Here is some information I have from some previous post.

External Torx bolt info on tranny bell housing
There are two bolts at roughly 1:00 and 11:00 looking forward. Heads (if OEM) are an E-12 "External Torx" using proper sockets is highly recommended (Lisle makes a good low-buck set of E-Torx sockets - check Sears or your local parts house that carries Lisle.)

Note that those bolts are 3/8"-16 (SAE), so they can be replaced with a hex head cap screw of the same length and thread. I highly suggest that you do so it will save you headaches.

These two bolts are best removed first before any of the lower easier bolts with the proper socket. The reason being you don’t want to round of their heads [which will only create more problems]. And by removing them first you prevent the possibility that the transmission bell housing and the engine will start to separate at the bottom first, which will greatly increase the difficulty in removal of the two bolts because of increased friction regardless of their head configuration.

Question to OP Oregion91XJ from DJ
What information are you basing your decision on that you have a cracked flex plate?
If you share that information with the rest of us someone might come up with easier and cheaper fix.

You should be sure that's the issue before you pull the transmission.

Remove the starter, remove the two lower 18mm bolts and 1 bottom center 13mm bolt to remove the inspection cover. Shine a flashlight in there and you should be able to see if it's cracked or not.

Like RedHeep said, could just be loose bolts.

Question to OP Oregion91XJ from DJ
What information are you basing your decision on that you have a cracked flex plate?
If you share that information with the rest of us someone might come up with easier and cheaper fix.

You should be sure that's the issue before you pull the transmission.

Remove the starter, remove the two lower 18mm bolts and 1 bottom center 13mm bolt to remove the inspection cover. Shine a flashlight in there and you should be able to see if it's cracked or not.

Like RedHeep said, could just be loose bolts.

It is cracked:bawl: shined a light up there and you can tell there is a crack around the six inner bolt. i have also heard that you can just slide the tranny back so i can get just enough room to do this, how would i do this?

It is cracked:bawl: shined a light up there and you can tell there is a crack around the six inner bolt. i have also heard that you can just slide the tranny back so i can get just enough room to do this, how would i do this?

You're asking questions that leads me to believe that you don't have a ton of experience. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but the best first step for you would be a repair manual.

We could post all day what you should do or how you should do it, but we aren't a replacement for a good manual.

Back