• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jk front seats into an xj?

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and only found a couple mentions of someone *wanting* to do it, but no follow up.
Anyone here install, or attempt to install, jk front seats into an xj?
I've got a hook up on a pair of nice, clean fronts from(I believe) a '12 jk. I haven't checked them out yet to see how the mounting configuration is. Eyeballing some jk's, it looks like they'll be fine height and width-wise. Hopefully, they'll sit a bit lower, or could be made to sit lower. At 6'2", the "rocker" style seats in the '89 xj are a bit too high.
Any input on how difficult it would be to adapt them to the xj bases?

I have heard from knowledgable sources that they are wider than xj seats so they don't fit with the center console in place. Also tht they are not all that comfortable.

Haven't actually measured yet, but it "looks like" it'll work. Gonna take some measurements some time this next week.
I find the jk seats pretty comfortable myself.
Seats were basically free, so I don't mind putting a little work into it. Also, I wouldn't be totally opposed to swapping out the full console for a mini, if everything else works well.

With the huge aftermarket for them....I'd bet that the stockers show up all the time too.

set-72157622675417879
I put JK seats in a few years back. I love it. BUT... there are a few limitations. For one they can't adjust forward and back. This is due to the fact they are wide and flat bottomed (whereas the XJ seats are curved bottom) and you have to bash the tunnel of the XJ to get them to fit. They do recline however. Also you essentially have to completely take apart the seat brakets and frame of the seat and refab new due to the fact that if you're tall (over 6ft) you basically are turning the seats into "low riders".

The only thing uncomfortable about the seat is the headrest, it's as hard as a rock!

If you have decent welding skills, go for it!

I've been wanting to replace my 98 xj seats as well. JK seats are all over the place. Id' love more info and appreciate the info given so far. If the seats absolutely cannot me adjusted forward/back this is bad, my wife is 5'4" and she drives the jeep fairly regularly.

nuts-

Yes I can see where that would be a problem if you have two drivers. IF you were to really modify your tunnel you MAY be able to do it. I'm the only driver so it wasn't a concern for me. I don't want to understate the fact that you really need to bash (yes with a sledge) the tunnel in a good couple of inches. Even then the seat is so wide you end up against the moulding on the door side. But hey these were basically brand new seats I landed for just $300 for the pair.

In the pic you may notice the passenger seat isn't quite as low as the drivers. This is due to the fact that my Wife is kinda short!

thank you! that's very helpful.
the only thing i've had time to do is take some basic measurements, and look them over. i did notice the difference in the shape of the bases, and i thought there would be some issues. my fab skills are minimal, but the guys at work are very good, so i can get that handled.
i don't care if they cant move front and back, no one else will really ever drive the xj besides me.
i like the way they're kinda "sunk down", that'd be ideal.
the seats are basically brand new(jk had 500 miles on it when they were pulled), and they were essentially free. :)

Last edited:
Back