• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Third Brake Light

Turtle

NAXJA Forum User
Did the 1993 model year XJ have a third brake light? The one I purchased was in a basket and the lift gate and the lift gate panel do not have mounting holes for one. I did get one from the JY to put on as I thought all 1986+ MY vehicles were required to have one.

Thanks

'93 doesn't have one. I've thought about adding one to my '93 but never got around to the details. I believe mandatory date for light trucks and vans was '94.

What is a "MY" vehicle?

My 90 did not have one...and my 88 MJ did not either. Even so there are 2 styles of 3rd light. The first type came out in 94. One is at the top of the lift gate on the OUTside. The other is mounted INside. They don't interchange.

If you have a lesser year, there will not be mounting holes. which doesn't mean it can't be done. With a little cutting and wiring, my MJ has one now. looks stock.

Thanks for the replies.

The one I got from the JY is an inside mount, so I''l just wire it in and mount it. Hate to get pulled over for not having one, worth the time I think just to run it.

I added on to my '89 without too much trouble.
There may be unused wires going to the hatch, unfortunately for the brake light my XJ has a remote lock and speakers in the hatch using all the "extra" wires and I needed to add an extra wire for the brake light.

I added on to my '89 without too much trouble.
There may be unused wires going to the hatch, unfortunately for the brake light my XJ has a remote lock and speakers in the hatch using all the "extra" wires and I needed to add an extra wire for the brake light.

Mike and Paradise,

did you guys use an after market generic light, or one specifically for the xj? I would probably want one on the inside. Had it painted a couple years ago and don't feel like drilling holes in the hatch.

Thank you!

We have plenty of "pick & pull" junk yards out here, so I use the genuine article.
Be careful pulling the inside hatch cover, mine's now held on with sheet metal screws and washers.
All the wires are in the panel behind the spare tire if you didn't know already.
Mike

My 94 has the third light - apparently with 2 bulbs.

I remember one saturday night I went through a rotary and a cop pulled me over. He said I didn't signal. I said - the road ends in a circle, I can only go right. Then, I am in a circle, I can only go right. How do I signal? (This was a small 3 point rotary).

Then he said also, half of your third brake light is out. I just repeated his words back out loud. "Half of my third brake light is out. Ok."

I wasn't being a smartass just being direct. I did not get a ticket.

Mike and Paradise,

did you guys use an after market generic light, or one specifically for the xj? I would probably want one on the inside. Had it painted a couple years ago and don't feel like drilling holes in the hatch.

Thank you!

You can get pulled over for anything. You will not and cannot get a ticket for missing something that wasn't stock equipment.

I was going to mount it on the hatch of my XJ but it just seemed too wide. It's not just a drill and screw job, I would have need to cut into the hatch and didn't feel like I had enough room

I used an outside mounted light from a 94 XJ at the yard for my MJ. Like I said it did involve cutting into the cab roof, but you'd never know it.

As it happened I was also re-doing the headliner so I was able to wire it in quick and easy. I thought about a "cargo" light too, but I ran out of incentive that day.

I have an inside mount light too hanging around here that I picked up thinking I could make it work in the 90 XJ...didn't see how I could...so when you get that mounted post up some pics

What year XJ's had the INTERIOR light? I heard some are at the top of the window, some on the bottom. Anyone know? It's easier for me to go online and order one, if I know the year.

I don't believe you can get a ticket for not having the third brake light. Check you motor vehicle codes. Not in Michigan.

If you did not have one from the factory, you cannot get a ticket for it. If you add one, you MAY get a ticket for having it out.

If you DID have one from the factory, you CAN get a ticket for having it out. It depends on the cop, in either case.

NB: The CHMSL ("third brake lamp" - more properly called "Center High-Mount Stop Lamp") is mandated under FMVSS - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, or 49CFR Part 1 - which does not vary from state to state, and has no bearing on state Vehicle Codes.

Doesn't change the fact that I think it's about as useful as the vermiform appendix - or that it was added due to inattention on the part of drivers (either of the vehicle itself for failure to maintain, or others for failure to look.) Just as we're now saddled with pointless DRL because people can't be arsed paying attention (which makes it difficult to communicate with other drivers on the freeways, and is directly responsible for those wretched bloody "flicker DRLs" that motorcycles now have,) antilock brakes (because people don't know how to drive,) "speed-proportional steering" (because people panic far too easily,) or other such sundry nonsense.

Many of the so-called "safety devices" we're saddled with these days, and which drive up the cost of a vehicle, could be obviated simply by teaching people to drive properly. I catch a low tyre well before TPMS does...

Back