• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank but no start when hot.

GunBoss45

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj 4.0.

This happens when the weather is warmer and sometimes during the winter. I will drive around for awhile making maybe two to three stops. Go to start the jeep again and the engine cranks over but wont start. No CEL at first. Sometimes if I crank it long enough I will get a no BUS message. It will start so long as I let it sit for a few hours.

I have tested the wiring harness and don't have any shorts or opens. I replaced the CPS and now it idles really rough I get the P1694 CEL and it still won't start when hot.

Signs are pointing to the ECM but I don't want to replace unless I'm absolutely sure that's it.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Pcm failure is nearly in heard of. No bus can be caused by any sensor that gets reference voltage from the Pcm.I'd start by looking for the sensor that's shorted when you get no bus. Start in plugging them one by one, when you get a fuel gauge that works you found the culprit.mine was tps

Pcm failure is nearly in heard of. No bus can be caused by any sensor that gets reference voltage from the Pcm.I'd start by looking for the sensor that's shorted when you get no bus. Start in plugging them one by one, when you get a fuel gauge that works you found the culprit.mine was tps

Not true at all. PCM failure for our vintage XJ is actually common. Mine internally shorted at 164k and required replacement. There are many threads on here involving bad PCMs.

That being said, I don't think a bad PCM is the OP's problem. I think a replacement CPS from Jeep will solve the issue, or perhaps a close inspection of the harness on the transmission bellhousing to make sure there isn't an intermittent connection.

If you can connect to the DLC with a scan tool and communicate with any modules, then the PCM is probably ok.

It is heat soak. The 00-01 are known for it. I've seen guys put reflective material on the bottom of the intake to try and keep it at bay. There was also a recall to have a heat sheild installed on the top of the intake to try and fix it.

Test the CPS, it probably has thermal failure. CPS failure is 10x more common than ECM failure.

P1694 is typically related to CPS issues.

The most likely cause of it cranks and cranks but won't start up is the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) located on the transmission bell housing. Often this part is also referred to as the CranKshaft Position Sensor (CKP). CPS/CKP failure is very common. The CPS/CKP can stop working with no warning or symptoms and the engine will not run or the engine may randomly stall for no apparent reason. Crank Position Sensors can have intermittent “thermal failure”. This means that the CPS/CKP fails when engine gets hot, but works again when it cools back down.

Symptoms-
- Starter cranks and cranks but engine won't start up
- Fuel gauge and voltage gauges may not work or display properly.
- You sometimes will have No Bus displayed on the odometer after 30-60 seconds.
- A failed CPS/CKP may or may not throw a CEL trouble code.
- No spark at the spark plugs.
- Fuel pump should run and prime for 3-5 seconds.

If the CPS/CKP is failed sometimes the OBD-II code reader cannot make a connection to the computer or cannot read Check Engine Light/MIL codes because the CPS/CKP has failed.

Diagnostic steps to confirm the CPS is the cause of your no-start

-You should be able to verify a bad cps, by unplugging it, and turning the ignition key to ON. If the voltage gauge and/or the fuel gauge now displays correctly, replace the CPS.
-Unplugging and reconnecting the CPS sensor where it connect to the main harness near the back of the intake manifold usually resets the ECU and if the jeep fires right up after doing this you can bet that the CPS is faulty and needs to be replaced.
-Exchange the fuel pump relay and the ASD relay with one of the other similar ones in the PDC to eliminate these relays as the cause of the no-start. Confirm that the fuel pump runs for 3-5 seconds when you turn the ignition key to ON.
-Inspect the wires and wire connectors at the O2 sensors on the exhausts pipe. A short circuit from melted insulation or from broken O2 sensor wires can blow a fuse and the ECU/ECM will lose communication.

If you buy a new CPS, get a genuine Jeep CPS, or the premium one from NAPA. Cheap crappy “Lifetime Warranty” parts are often out of specification or even failed right out of the box. They usually also have a shorter service life than better quality parts. Buy good quality repair parts and genuine Jeep sensors for best results.

Also remember to perform basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage or poor grounds and the ECM/ECU will behave oddly until you remedy this.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CKP)
standard.jpg

standard.jpg
CPS Testing

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to the 10K-or-2OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

TESTING PROCEDURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines
Test # 1 - Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.
Test # 2 - You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.

The 2000 and 2001 will have the CPS in the same location on the bell housing, but the wire connector is on the passenger side, near or on top of the Transfer case, not as shown in the diagram below. Simply follow the wire from the sensor to the wire connector.
standard.jpg

Back